C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anti-sway bar replacement when doing rear monospring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 12:14 AM
Tom Mieczkowski
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti-sway bar replacement when doing rear monospring?

Well, looks like I'm going to have to replace my rear monospring, which is starting to delaminate. Luckily I live in St. Petersburg and can drive over to Vette Brakes and pick one up over the counter. I've had a recommendation that I do the rear anti-sway bar at the same time. I wouldn't mind, but it does look like a little bit more work. According to my GM service manual you've got to pull off the mufflers to get the bar out and the new one in.

Any opinions on this? Should I spend the extra $100 on the bar (the monospring plus new hardware is $300). Anyone replaced one and can give me a handle on how much work it is? If I do it, should I go with the polyurethane or rubber bushings?

As always, any advice and opinions are appreciated.
Old 07-26-2002, 02:23 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Anti-sway bar replacement when doing rear monospring? (Tom Mieczkowski)

After reading your post,Is there a reason you want or need to replace the bar? IS it too small or something else wrong with it?
It was sounding like you were being given advice to change it out for some reason but I dont know why.Is your car not handling the way it should be?
What size is the new bar over your stock one?

Just wondering..sorry for the questions but dont want to see someone replace stuff they dont need to due to some advice they got somewhere but yet there isnt anything wrong with their current set up.
:)

Old 07-27-2002, 06:42 PM
BrianS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Anti-sway bar replacement when doing rear monospring? (Tom Mieczkowski)

you've got to pull off the mufflers to get the bar out and the new one in.
I am about to replace the rear bar on my 95 for a 26mm :cool: I looked over the procedure in a haynes manual and it does not mention taking out the mufflers. Are you sure this is necessary?

_Brian
Old 07-27-2002, 07:54 PM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Anti-sway bar replacement when doing rear monospring? (BrianS)

I looked over the procedure in a haynes manual and it does not mention taking out the mufflers. Are you sure this is necessary?

_Brian
I removed the spare tire, but I didn't have to pull the exhaust.

Eric
Old 07-28-2002, 02:07 AM
BrianS
Pro

Default Re: Anti-sway bar replacement when doing rear monospring? (BrianS)

Thanks!! I don't want to remove my exhaust intil it is time to upgrade.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:46 AM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

Well, looks like I'm going to have to replace my rear monospring, which is starting to delaminate. Luckily I live in St. Petersburg and can drive over to Vette Brakes and pick one up over the counter....

Any opinions on this? Should I spend the extra $100 on the bar (the monospring plus new hardware is $300). Anyone replaced one and can give me a handle on how much work it is? If I do it, should I go with the polyurethane or rubber bushings?
How stiff is that VB spring? The stock front 96 FE1 spring is 60N/mm or ~350 lb/in and 26N/mm or ~150 lb/in for the rear. I've heard the VB springs are very stiff. I wouldn't upset the balance fron to rear by running a stiff rear and soft front spring.

For the swaybars, it's the same thing. The front and rear bars need to be paired. I wouldn't run a stiff rear and soft front.

BTW, to convert Hib's suspension chart from metric spring rates (Newtons/mm) to English (pounds/inch) divide by 0.17.

Eric

Eric
Old 07-28-2002, 01:08 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Anti-sway bar replacement when doing rear monospring? (silver & red CE)

I replaced my rear sway bar with a larger one. I did not pull the mufflers, but I did have to pull the spare tire. The rear is not real easy, but If you are mechanical enough to replace the spring then you can do the bar with no problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Anti-sway bar replacement when doing rear monospring?

Quick Reply: Anti-sway bar replacement when doing rear monospring?