C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Change Bearings by Dropping Pan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 08:33 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by cudamax
Somebody might of bumped up the base Idle Screw on the throttle body.
Yeah, they had. Even after letting it out a bit and going through the whole adjusting idle routine where you jump the ALDL and all that it's still at 1000. It was at 1700-1900 before, so it is a lot better now.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:41 PM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The base is really low like 500 or 550 rpm, I think. With everything disconnected. If the Idle is high with the IAC disconnected, the worm gear inside of it is toast and jammed up in its extended position. You want to make sure it moves in and out
Old 08-20-2014, 11:26 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

The base is really low like 500 or 550 rpm, I think. With everything disconnected. If the Idle is high with the IAC disconnected, the worm gear inside of it is toast and jammed up in its extended position. You want to make sure it moves in and out
If I recall, the problem was that it ran really rough if I turned down the base idle very far. After I rebuild and I'm ready to deal with this I'll make a thread (or I think I already have one) for this.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:39 AM
PcolaPaul
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your Good. Enjoy a job well done. Run 20/50 in it. Stay away from fram filters and expensive oil and dump it earlier and get a magnetic drain plug. Go out and drive it and have fun and quit staring at your dash gauge UR FINE
This!!
DON'T trust the factory electrical sending unit gauge. Add a mechanical gauge for true oil pressure if so inclined. Drive it and enjoy it. If oil pressure keeps the valve lifters happy.. good to go.

Now on the future engine rebuild,, reference the post about worn CAM bearings and LOW oil pressure on a small block Chevy. You have done a bunch of work for little gain, but hell, you are on the road again.
Believe it or not, some of us old farts, speaking for myself of course, know just a little bit about an engine. Learned the hard way, broken and blown up engines.
Again, congratulations on the 10 PSI oil pressure gain. Add a mechanical gauge to the engine, you might not have ANY oil pressure problems at all!
Old 08-21-2014, 07:11 AM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We didn't have the Internet. Just the Streets way back when 500 hp Super Stocks were the Bomb and when everyone thought Grumpy Smokey put some-thin in his Cigars and everyone feared the 68 Hemi Barracuda
This is how I really started out, well kinda. A long time ago. Working on Semi-trucks and larned on the streets. What worked and what didn't. By Racing on them.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:31 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

I was waiting to get it all cleaned up until it got running. Thanks to you guys, it's now running and clean. Here's a picture to end the thread (excuse the major paint chipping on the battery cover panel):
Name:  5Ez47Tf.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  978.5 KB
Old 08-23-2014, 09:23 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Good job. I knew you could do it. On the clutch thing, maybe dont think about it so much and let it happen.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:05 AM
cadmaniac
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Congratulations.

You are now a better wrencher than most of the people on the forum!

Take your time, do it right, and learn. The internet is the best tool for car guys, and this forum is a great resource.

CudaMax, you also helped him a lot. That was really nice, and lots of good info.

Now go and enjoy that car. I'll bet it will be a while before you need to rebuild that engine.

I'd get another engine core and rebuild that while you drive on the old one. Much less down time for the car
Old 08-24-2014, 07:13 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by JackDidley
Good job. I knew you could do it. On the clutch thing, maybe dont think about it so much and let it happen.
Originally Posted by cadmaniac
Congratulations.

You are now a better wrencher than most of the people on the forum!

Take your time, do it right, and learn. The internet is the best tool for car guys, and this forum is a great resource.

CudaMax, you also helped him a lot. That was really nice, and lots of good info.

Now go and enjoy that car. I'll bet it will be a while before you need to rebuild that engine.

I'd get another engine core and rebuild that while you drive on the old one. Much less down time for the car
Thanks guys!
And yeah, Cuda, you were a huge help.

No problems with the enjoying it part. Despite the difficulties with getting moving from a stop, I manage to make up for it once I get into second
Hmm, getting an engine core and rebuilding that isn't a bad idea. I was planning on just getting a block, assembling the rotating assembly on the stand and then swapping blocks, but that would be less down time and leave me with a backup engine.
I probably could wait a while to rebuild. But I'm itching to get back to working on my car so I'm hoping to do it sooner rather than later.
Anyways, I'll work out all the details on the stroker thread.

Quick Reply: Change Bearings by Dropping Pan?