C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Ride Control

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 11:53 AM
tnsg
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride Control

I have a 1992 with performance ride control. I have an issue that on occasions it will all of a sudden feel as though I have a flat tire (very bumpy ride). It will last a short time or the next time you take it out it is fine. My mechanic said it was an shock absorber actuator. Installed regular KYB shocks and disconnected the actuators. Took the car out on Saturday and had same results. Has anyone had experience with this issue and or know what is causing it. I have even put a different set of tires on but no help.
Thanks
Old 08-12-2014, 01:06 PM
ramvet89
Intermediate

Describe the "bumpy ride" - does the steering wheel also vibrate or is the feeling more in the seat?
Old 08-12-2014, 01:14 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The FX3 shock actuator by itself is not going to cause any sort of bumpy ride. A shock that has failed may do that but if you have replaced the shocks and still get the same feeling, something else is wrong.

I would suggest you start by checking all of the bushings in the suspension components. Look for loose nuts and bolts too.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:15 PM
tnsg
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ramvet89
Describe the "bumpy ride" - does the steering wheel also vibrate or is the feeling more in the seat?
Not sure I will have to take notice, but I think it is in the car overall riding like a flat tire.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:42 PM
ramvet89
Intermediate

I had a very similar issue with my 96 vert - I also replaced the F45 shocks with Z51 shocks, replaced tires and rims, replaced front wheel bearings and brake rotors but the problem persisted and even got so bad the car was not safe to drive - many shops did the standard front-end checks and could find nothing wrong - finally replaced the steering rack with a Z51 rack and viola - problem resolved!
Old 08-12-2014, 01:49 PM
tnsg
Heel & Toe

Thank you
Is there any way of checking steering rack to determine if this is problem?
Old 08-13-2014, 09:16 AM
ramvet89
Intermediate

Not that I know of but someone else might have an idea - we just couldn't find any obvious reason for the shake so we went with the not so obvious
Old 08-13-2014, 11:16 AM
tnsg
Heel & Toe

Thank you,
I am going to show this to my mechanic.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:33 PM
tnsg
Heel & Toe

Not that I know of but someone else might have an idea - we just couldn't find any obvious reason for the shake so we went with the not so obvious
Was your problem all the time or spurratic. My issue is not all the time, it comes and goes and of course it does not do it when I take it to my mechanic. However it does seem to be getting worst and more often.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:30 PM
tnsg
Heel & Toe

I had a very similar issue with my 96 vert - I also replaced the F45 shocks with Z51 shocks, replaced tires and rims, replaced front wheel bearings and brake rotors but the problem persisted and even got so bad the car was not safe to drive - many shops did the standard front-end checks and could find nothing wrong - finally replaced the steering rack with a Z51 rack and viola - problem resolved!

Dear ramvet89,
I finally broke down and had a rebuilt rack & pinion installed and it seemed to resolve the problem. Thank you for your advice. Should of did this long ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Ride Control

Quick Reply: Ride Control