C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

88 Vette - Hot Car will not start - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 08:44 AM
gils88
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Vette - Hot Car will not start - Need Help

I have a 88 Corvette roadster with 40,000 miles that just developed this problem. After I run the car for 45 minutes she will not start. The car is simply dead with no power to the starter. When I wait an hour or so she starts no problem. The Vats has been by passed by the previous owner witha toggle switch that I have not touched. A mechanic put a scan on the car when it was acting up and seemed to think it was the security system as the security light was blinking and his scanner showed no power to the fuel pump. My thought is hot starter as I have never had problems with Vat before due to it being by passed. Any help is appreciated. Thanks gils88
Old 07-27-2002, 11:49 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: 88 Vette - Hot Car will not start - Need Help (gils88)

It does sound like a bad starter if it does nothing when you turn the key. If it cranks and cranks but doesnt fire, that would be the injectors.
Old 07-27-2002, 12:06 PM
greg84
Burning Brakes

hi,had the same promblem on my 84 and it was the starter.i replaced the starter with a high torque lt1 starter with a heat blanket and the promblems were gone.good luck greg84
Old 07-27-2002, 04:55 PM
Fast Glass
Burning Brakes

Save yourself the cost of the starter. Your experiencing a heat soaked starter relay. I went through this years ago too. I bought a Painless Wiring remote starter relay kit (p/n-30202) from either Summit or Jeggs. Its fairly easy to install, and actually works. I never got stuck waiting for my relay to cool again.
Old 07-27-2002, 05:47 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: 88 Vette - Hot Car will not start - Need Help (Fast Glass)

Yep, heat soak on the starter, or more probably the starter solenoid.

Many guys have the same problem from time to time. I did too last year and replaced just the soleoid and installed a heat shield. No more problems.

AutoZone sells solenoid head shields for under $10.

Hope this helps.

Jake
Old 07-28-2002, 01:33 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Someone posted this problem and found it to be the xmsn selector sw which completes the circuit to the starter solenoid. If you have a manual xmsn, then there is a clutch switch , but I doubt that it would be sensitive to heat. Can you hear the start enable relay click from behind the center of the dash when you attempt a crank? If not, you have VATS problems. You can prove its starter temperature by cooling it off with your garden hose and trying a start. Also, a bypassed VATS makes it easy for your vette to be stolen and 99% of stolen cars have their columns bashed and ignition jumped. Previous owner probably didn't want to replace the ignition switch and bypassed the VATS. I prefer to keep my VATS working like it came from the factory.
Old 07-28-2002, 12:43 PM
gils88
5th Gear

Default Re: 88 Vette - Hot Car will not start - Need Help (jfb)

Thanks for the feedback. How do you determine if you have a manual xmsn switch?. There is no click when attempting to start. If the Vat has been by passed will it still act up? How do you repair the vat system?

Your help is appreciated.
Old 07-28-2002, 02:49 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

If you have a 4+3 in your 88 vette, then you have a clutch switch. If you have an automatic transmission, then there is a switch on the gear selector that will allow a start only in park and neutral. Since you cannot hear the start enable relay click (this relay is behind the center of the dash), then VATS is not working. VATS is a module that reads the resistance of the pellet in your ignition key and if it is the correct value, then this module allows the start enable relay to close enabling the ign sw to apply 12v to the start solenoid on the starter (but the clutch sw or the xmsn selector sw if you have an auto xmsn must also make connection). Most VATS bypass add-ons place a resistor on the wires going to the VATS module the same value as your pellet resistance. I'm guessing that your VATS bypass has become disconnected or has failed and the VATS module is not closing the start enable relay, or the start enable relay coil is defective. Also, VATS tells the ECM that it can pulse the injectors so without VATS working, not only can't you make the starter motor crank, the engine won't run because the fuel injectors won't work either. You need to look into how the VATS was bypassed and determine the reason why it isn't working. I am not familiar with the aftermarket VATS bypassers, so I cannot offer you any help there. I replace my ignition switch when the pellet contacts become intermittent or stop altogether ( I'm on ign sw #3) so that it is very difficult for anyone to steal my 87 vette. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2002, 02:49 PM
Hendej
Pro

his scanner showed no power to the fuel pump

The starter has nothing to do with fuel pump power, neither does the selector and/or clutch switch. The ECM controls the fuel pump, and only when the VATS says it's OK to turn the pump on. You should hear the fuel pump whir for 2 seconds right when the ignition switch is first turned on. Listen when cold (working OK) and then again when hot (not working). You probably won't hear it whir in the no start condition. Also, a VATS condition will reset in 2 or 5 minutes, another of your symptoms. Considering all the symptoms, I don't think the VATS is as bypassed as you were led to believe. If it was not for the fuel pump symptom, I would agree 100% with the starter switch/solenoid being your problem.

Get notified of new replies

To 88 Vette - Hot Car will not start - Need Help

Quick Reply: 88 Vette - Hot Car will not start - Need Help