C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

door jamb switch???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 09:45 PM
shawnsdad
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default door jamb switch???

drivers side door jamb switch is shorting out. hit a bump, turn a corner interior lights go on. if i open door and shut had light will go off.. how do you get to the switch? im going to order 2 new ones. thanks
Old 08-21-2014, 08:44 AM
Bobby Brewsky
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

This is for the door ajar switch located next to my left elbow on the drivers door.

You don't say what year you have...on my 1996, I opened the door, removed the two screws securing the switch and carefully slid the switch out of the hole. The hole was barely large enough to get the pigtail out with patience. I then took a 90 degree pick and reached through one of the mounting holes to grab the plate in back of the door that has the taps in it to hold the switch in place. This plate is loose and can slide down the switch wires in back of the door if not retained.

I unplugged the old switch and then plugged in the new. I gently pushed the switch back into it's hole and put the other screw through the switch/door sheet metal and threaded it into the tapped plate while still holding it with the 90 pick. Once I started that screw, I then removed my pick and installed the other screw and gently tightened both.

I hope this helps
Old 08-21-2014, 04:53 PM
shawnsdad
Intermediate

sorry my signature was erased.. its a 86.. its in between the hinges. dont see how to remove
Old 08-21-2014, 05:07 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnsdad
sorry my signature was erased.. its a 86.. its in between the hinges. dont see how to remove
It will have a hex on it but it may be very difficult to see because of the boot that protects it. It should be very straight forward.

Here's a link to the switch at Corvette Central:

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....5Z50000050F~~~

There may be better buys and availability. The information is only so that you understand it's install.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:20 PM
shawnsdad
Intermediate

thanks... when anything is too easy its the hardest.... thanks again
Old 08-21-2014, 06:27 PM
shawnsdad
Intermediate

ok got out. there is no pig tail attached? is there supposed to be? and is that the problem?
Old 08-21-2014, 06:30 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnsdad
ok got out. there is no pig tail attached? is there supposed to be? and is that the problem?
Yes that's your problem. The wire has fallen off and every time the terminal strikes something metal it "grounds" and the light is lit.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:25 PM
shawnsdad
Intermediate

yes it was... lmao... I found it and the trick was to get through the hole... nothing is easy. lol. but i did get it and we can mark that on off the list.. thanks

Get notified of new replies

To door jamb switch???

Quick Reply: door jamb switch???