C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Car Won't Start.. HELP PLEASE>>>> :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 10:58 PM
Izover4u
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Won't Start.. anti-theft stereo????

hey guys.. well i decided to install a head unit... got everything installed worked great.. then for some reason my headunit broke.. so i returned ect... got an exchange... ect... put the new on and didnt work.. did the same thing as the broken one... the headunit would keep clicking... well i disconnected the headunit and something in the center consule started clicking like were the the controls for the ac is... i tried to start the car and nothing.. dead... just lights on the insided.. so i thought the battery died... so i tried jumping the car... hooked up the cables... turned the key.. everything shuts off... COMPLETELY DEAD :mad ... i have no clue now... there is no alarm on the car except for the factory... NO POWER what so ever... i put the key in nothing.. its like some main fuse blew.... Anyone know what it could be... ? what fuse do i check? if it is a fuse... or is it something else.... thanks guys.... :cheers:

[Modified by Izover4u, 9:21 PM 7/27/2002]
Old 07-27-2002, 11:04 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Car Won't Start.. HELP PLEASE>>>> :( (Izover4u)

You sure you didnt completely kill the battery? If that battery is dead dead, jumping it wont work. Put a multimeter on the battery to see if the battery is any good.
Old 07-27-2002, 11:05 PM
Ender85
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Car Won't Start.. HELP PLEASE>>>> :( (VetteNoob)

I, too, have a dead dead battery :cry
Old 07-27-2002, 11:06 PM
Izover4u
Drifting

i check the battery... with a battery charger.. reads almost 12V.... anyone else??? please guys im stuck i dont want to tow it somewhere i lowered it 2inchs.. and theres no way its getting on a tow truck easly...
Old 07-27-2002, 11:16 PM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You refer to a head unit. I take that to be a stereo component. Some cars, vettes included have an anti theft component for the stereo. This device is used to disarm the starting system in the car in an event where the stereo is stolen.Obviously, your vette has this. You have triggered the anti theft device to disarm the start solenoid. Somewhere in this forum there is a thread dealing with this. Without looking in to the shop manual, I can't help you. I am unfamiliar with the reset procedure. Hopefully, some one else will chime in and give it to you. You might repost the thread to request for anit theft stereo help in the title.

:cheers:
Old 07-27-2002, 11:21 PM
Izover4u
Drifting

Default Re: Car Won't Start.. HELP PLEASE>>>> :( (Sharky Guam)

thanks... does anyone know how to reset this?? i did a search nothing came up.. what should i do a search on?? :cheers:

[Modified by Izover4u, 9:49 PM 7/27/2002]
Old 07-28-2002, 12:18 AM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

How many amps?
Old 07-28-2002, 12:32 AM
Izover4u
Drifting

no amps.. it was just headunit.... (Faceplate)...
Old 07-28-2002, 12:33 AM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Sorry, I meant amps from your battery. How many amps is it reading? I think a new battery should be around 650-675 cold cranking amps.
Old 07-28-2002, 12:35 AM
Izover4u
Drifting

my battery charger reads in volts... it says almost 12v.. when i connect to the battery...
Old 07-28-2002, 12:37 AM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can't test the amps without putting a load on it. The vettes need at least 750 CCA. I would put in a battery with a 1000 CCA rating. However, I don't think it is the battery. Someone with the right shop manual needs to let him know where the anti theft device is and how to reset it. When you disconnect the old stereo, it activates the anti theft feature.
Old 07-28-2002, 12:40 AM
Izover4u
Drifting

do u know how i can call or talk to to find out how to reset this... Or does anyone know of anyone with the shop manual... what manual is it exactly?
Old 07-28-2002, 12:44 AM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

The anti-theft feature of stereos is just for the stereo only. It does not affect the VATS or any other vehicle anti-theft feature. If the vehicle anti-theft was triggered, he may not be able to start the car, but the new stereo should still play. The lights should still come on. Everything should still work except for the ignition/starter.
Old 07-28-2002, 12:54 AM
Izover4u
Drifting

When it first happened... i put the key in the ignition and all the lights turned on ect... like normal... but when i would go to start nothing happens no cranking no nothing..i tried jumping the car... i hooked up the cables ect... put the key in lights turned on... when i turned the key to start eveyrhitng turned off... completely... no lights no nothing even thou key in ignition turned to on ect... :cheers: thanks guys for the help... keep it coming :cheers:
Old 07-28-2002, 01:10 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Car Won't Start.. anti-theft stereo???? (Izover4u)

If you cannot hear the start enable relay click behind the center of the dash when you turn the ign sw to the crank position, then you have a VATS problem. If you hear the click, but the starter doesn't turn, then you should jump the clutch switch (xmsn selector switch if auto) and try again. Also, look at your dash voltmeter when you hit the crank position, if it falls a volt or more, then I would remove the battery cables , ground first, and clean the cable lugs, the battery posts and replace the cables, negative cable last. If you have VATS problems, try your spare ignition key because its pellet isn't worn like your everyday key is. To prove the ign sw contacts that make connection to the pellet are ok, find the 2 pin connector on the wires from the steering column ( connector is under the carpet by the steering column on my 87) and unplug it and with the ign key in place, measure the ohms across the connector on the wires from the steering column. The resistance should be the same as the key pellet. If over 10k ohms, then you need a new ignition switch. You can bypass VATS with a fixed resistor the same value as the pellet clipped onto the wires going over to the passenger side. Don't delay replacing the ign sw if it is defective because you are at risk for an easy theft of your vette. 99% of thefts are done by bashing the column and jumping the ignition.
Old 07-28-2002, 01:33 AM
Izover4u
Drifting

Default Re: Car Won't Start.. anti-theft stereo???? (jfb)

i cant look at the dash volt meter... nothing is on... even when i put the key in the ignition nothing turns on... just dead... :(... :confused:...
Old 07-28-2002, 01:49 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Power to everything inside the car only when the ignition switch is on must pass through a fusible link from the battery to the ignition switch and your symptoms sound like you have a blown fusible link or a sudden ignition switch failure (unlikely). There are 2 red wires from a junction over behind the dash and behind the fuse block that go to the ignition switch. This junction is fed by a red wire that comes from the fusible link and if this junction doesn't have 12v on it, then the fusible link is blown and needs to be replaced. This junction has a total of 9 red wires on it, of which 2 go to the ignition switch. If your brake lights also don't work, then you definetely have a blown fusible link because the brake light fuse is on S203 (junction with 9 wires ).

Get notified of new replies

To Car Won't Start.. HELP PLEASE>>>> :(

Old 07-28-2002, 12:18 PM
dlmeyers
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Car Won't Start.. anti-theft stereo???? (jfb)

When you installed the head unit, did you have to splice some wires or modify a wire bundle or two? How much of the electrical system required a change to install the new unit or was it unplug old and plug in new?

Secondly, what is the volt reading across the battery?

dlmeyers 90 coupe zf6 3 speed shocks

Old 07-28-2002, 03:10 PM
Izover4u
Drifting

Default Re: Car Won't Start.. anti-theft stereo???? (dlmeyers)

the new headunit was very easy to install... just bought the wire harness and pluged it in... didnt touch any electrical wires of the corvette... just extended the wire harness to reach... im goin to check all the fuses and battery again..
Old 07-28-2002, 03:34 PM
86VetteBill
Racer

I hope your problem is as simple as the solution I found when I had the same problem. I don't remember what I was doing that caused my no cranking problem...

Thinking VATS, I got out and used the door key in the door lock - turn left and right and then hopped in and Vrooom! :cheers:

Quick Reply: Car Won't Start.. HELP PLEASE>>>> :(