C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lighter socket

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 07:17 PM
Stellabarbara
Stellabarbara
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 C4 of Year Finalist
Default Lighter socket

Question... I have a 1990 C4. The lighter works, but I can not charge my phone with a charger plugged into it. Any ideas on a charger that will work? Thanks

Last edited by Stellabarbara; 10-01-2014 at 07:56 AM. Reason: change light to lighter
Old 10-01-2014, 01:01 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Does the charger have a fuse inside?

Personally I like the chargers that light up an LED so you can tell that they are getting power.

The voltage coming out of the charger is 5 volts. The charger has a voltage regulator inside it that changes the car's 12 volts to 5 volts. Maybe it broke...
Old 10-01-2014, 01:22 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Not all chargers are compatible with the older "LIGHTER" sockets, if you're a non-smoker and your intentions are to use it as a charging/power port only it would be wise to change it to later product that's meant for chargers and power ports.

OP - you mentioned "light" but I assumed you meant lighter, if you meant the LED on the power connector then it would hint there's a problem with the charger.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:09 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Lighter

Having used the lighter socket on my 86 to charge 2 different phones along with running a dashcam, the socket should work. If the lighter actually works, I'd check out the socket itself to insure it's not damaged or packed with junk. There could be junk left in there from previous lighter usage.
Assuming there's power to the unit and you can't find anything wrong, I'd change out the socket next.
Good luck.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:55 AM
Stellabarbara
Stellabarbara
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Not all chargers are compatible with the older "LIGHTER" sockets, if you're a non-smoker and your intentions are to use it as a charging/power port only it would be wise to change it to later product that's meant for chargers and power ports.

OP - you mentioned "light" but I assumed you meant lighter, if you meant the LED on the power connector then it would hint there's a problem with the charger.
Yes, I meant Lighter... OOPS! I'm bad!!!. Is it hard to change the socket? I guess I should also pull the fuse before working on it. Where would be the bast place to buy a new socket and your recommendations?
I am a non-smoker... but funny thing, I keep finding cigarettes on the passanger side... Not sure where they are coming from... I have cleaned the vehicle from top to bottom... I must have sargent CJ Mohoney in the passenger seat.. HEHEH!

Last edited by Stellabarbara; 10-01-2014 at 07:57 AM. Reason: change fues to fuse
Old 10-01-2014, 05:11 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by Stellabarbara
Yes, I meant Lighter... OOPS! I'm bad!!!. Is it hard to change the socket? I guess I should also pull the fuse before working on it. Where would be the bast place to buy a new socket and your recommendations?
I am a non-smoker... but funny thing, I keep finding cigarettes on the passanger side... Not sure where they are coming from... I have cleaned the vehicle from top to bottom... I must have sargent CJ Mohoney in the passenger seat.. HEHEH!
It is not 'hard' but it can be time consuming. i just did mine on my 87 and i had actually gone to the hardware store to replace the socket, mine was filled with rust. at the same time i dropped the original in vinegar to see if i could break all the rust down. in the end, i re-used to the original because the new one did not fit into the wired receptacle that runs under the dash.

but i would say that your socket should charge the cell phone.

check your fuses for the correct amperage? ctsy fuse is where the lighter socket is on my 87 and it is rated for a 15, but i have a 20 in it. it came that way from the previous owner. not sure if that makes it able to charge my phone. i charge an iphone 4s.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:19 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

If the lighter works then your socket seems to be working. Check your charger. Perhaps it isn't working, or perhaps the plug isn't long enough to properly seat in the socket. Again, can't see the socket not being "hot" if the lighter works, try a differently shaped charger.

The old cigs may have fallen between the console and the carpeting and just be working their way out.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:53 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Sounds like the phone charger itself to me.

Changing out the lighter socket itself is a pain for what it is.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:06 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

The lighter socket in my 86 charges my iphone just fine. Must be your charger.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:01 PM
pezter22
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the same issue with my '91. I plug in my GPS into the cigarette lighter outlet it will not charge up the battery in the unit.

If I push in the cigarette lighter it works, so I am getting power to the outlet, fuse if fine and there is no corrosion.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:01 PM
LANDSHARK1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I had a '90, I had no problems in using a phone charger (all kinds) via the lighter socket.

Take a look inside the socket and then at the plug-in part of your charger itself. I'd say there is a good chance that this particular combination is not making proper contact. With a little luck, you may be able to bend something to ensure proper contact.

If that doesn't work, try using a different brand of charger adapter which still has the same connector that your phone requires. You can get them online or at a place like Fry's Electronics.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:00 PM
Stellabarbara
Stellabarbara
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LANDSHARK1
When I had a '90, I had no problems in using a phone charger (all kinds) via the lighter socket.

Take a look inside the socket and then at the plug-in part of your charger itself. I'd say there is a good chance that this particular combination is not making proper contact. With a little luck, you may be able to bend something to ensure proper contact.

If that doesn't work, try using a different brand of charger adapter which still has the same connector that your phone requires. You can get them online or at a place like Fry's Electronics.
Thank you for the update. I will try what you said and if that does not work, check with Fry's Electronics
Old 10-03-2014, 08:27 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Take a look inside the lighter socket with a flashlight try to see if its corroded on the sides ot a the center where the button makes contact. I took my lighter socket out cleaned it with a selection of small knife blades screwdrivers etc. And sprayed it down good with electrical contact cleaner.

Some things I plug in give a perfectly consistent reliable connection, some I still have play with to gt contact. It could be different shaped connectors or corrosion.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:26 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Stellabarbara
Question... I have a 1990 C4. The lighter works, but I can not charge my phone with a charger plugged into it. Any ideas on a charger that will work? Thanks
Does the lighter plug-in unit have a light (as Cliff Harris mentioned)?
Are you getting a message: "Unable to charge"?

Have 3 car chargers, and received "Unable to charge" message.
Called phone company.... no help.... see repair shop.

Checked internet for suggestions..... BINGO.
It was suggested to clean all contacts with eye glass cleaner.
Worked for me.

Used electrical contact cleaner without success.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:49 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Not all chargers are compatible with the older "LIGHTER" sockets.

Please explain your thought process on this. I was not aware of an industry standard change for the cigarette power port in the last 50 or so years.

OP: I assume you have tested your charger in another vehicle for proper operation???? If not please do and let us know the outcome.

If you have verified operation in another vehicle then we can assume the lighter plug in your car is the issue and not the phone or the charger. Until then we are chasing rabbits down holes.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:12 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by kg4fku

Please explain your thought process on this. I was not aware of an industry standard change for the cigarette power port in the last 50 or so years.
I've had a couple very nice charging adapters that won't work in a "CASCO" lighter outlet (C4 corvette) but work in the charging/power port of mine and everyone else's vehicles. I've a Grand Prix with both a lighter and a charging/power port, cigar lighter has never been used but heats element to "RED HOT" and charger doesn't work, charging/power port works fine. I believe it has to do with the type of "grounding contact" are on the adapter.

If your still confused go chase the rabbits!
Old 10-04-2014, 01:31 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I've had a couple very nice charging adapters that won't work in a "CASCO" lighter outlet (C4 corvette) but work in the charging/power port of mine and everyone else's vehicles. I've a Grand Prix with both a lighter and a charging/power port, cigar lighter has never been used but heats element to "RED HOT" and charger doesn't work, charging/power port works fine. I believe it has to do with the type of "grounding contact" are on the adapter.

If your still confused go chase the rabbits!
Interesting. Sounds like OE to me.

Rabbit season it is!

Get notified of new replies

To Lighter socket

Old 10-04-2014, 07:31 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by kg4fku
Interesting. Sounds like OE to me.

Rabbit season it is!
I changed out my socket with aebay parts piece.
It screwed together and was pretty easy, The ONLY problem when you do it is the power wire is not extra long at all. Just have to tape it up good so no shorts.
It was on ebay somewhere I just can't be sure which one.

Good luck

Last edited by xrav22; 10-04-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:36 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Shrink tubing would be better
Old 10-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Stellabarbara
Stellabarbara
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Well, first... Thank you all for your support and help. As the lighter did work but not a phone charger, I took the fuse out and cleaned the socket , which wasn't all that dirty, and found that it now works. I can charge my phone ..... Yeah! I am so happy. Another little step forward. Now I just have to figure out my CD player... Winter project I guess.

Quick Reply: Lighter socket