C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Which Front Control Arm Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 11:40 PM
70chev
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Front Control Arm Bushings

Hi guys,

After some advice please. Just fitted some Prothane control arm bushings to front control arms and they have to come out. Once tightened up, then bind terribly and don't allow the control arms to move freely. Also during driving you can hear them creaking as you slowly traverse bumps etc. No, the noise isn't the normal squeak that you can sometimes get with poly bushings, (I also have them in my Camaro) but was the result of binding.

It seems that the poly bushings are actually longer than the steel sleeves that are inserted into them. So once the chassis bolts are tightened, they are tightening down on the bushings, not the sleeves themselves. Very annoying, but the vendor has agreed to take them back.

After some advice please on which ones you guys have used that have worked first time. I would prefer Poly Urethan bushings due to the longer life you get out of the them and the price point you can get them at. I think Speed Tech also do a Del-a-lum but I think they are more race oriented and probably twice the price.

I just want something that works, and that I can fit and forget until normal servicing is required. I've used Energy Suspension urethane bushings in my Camaro and they seem to be good, but just after the experience of others here.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Darren
Old 12-01-2014, 06:32 AM
70chev
Advanced

Default Bump

Hey guys,

Just bumping this up again. Anyone?? The Del-a-lum pieces i was referring to are Global West, not Speed Tech.

I'd appreciate the experience of anyone who has done it and had luck. The Global West pieces are nice and will no doubt work, but are about $400 landed here in Australia. Happy to pay that if there it will limit the number of attempts I have to make to get this right.

Thanks guys.

Darren
Old 12-01-2014, 07:40 AM
seb.a
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed the energy suspension kit 1 1/2 year ago. It is stiff but great. The direction seems to more precise and the car enters the curves very quick. I like it, i also have the rear done.
I have ride it for 3000 miles without any problem.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:12 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

You are correct in that Del-a-lum are best suited for SMOOTH race-track conditions. Part of the bushings job is to allow/absorb front-to-rear deflection of your wheels. Those Del-A-lum bushings don't have any give. Though they are the most precise option, you rarely see anyone go that route. (I will say there's one/two C4 forum posts/owners that like them though.)

Energy Suspension and Prothane are the only urethane bushing makers I know of. P-S-T sells graphite impregnated bushings but I learned they are sourced from Energy suspension. In short, I think they are the same BLACK bushings ES sells. (I confirmed Energy Suspension's kit sold for my 1989 is impregnated graphite.)

My Energy Suspension was just installed. The shop had to remove and reinstall because they didn't apply any/sufficient lube. Now the lube is there. ( FWIW, the ES tech line recommends the use of "Anti-Seize" in addition to their pre-packaged lube. I just used their pre-packaged white lube.)

It was squeak-free (and problem-free) on my first drive today.

I have to add the result of my rebuild is VERY good. Much tighter suspension AND a mild intermittent vibration is gone. TIGHT, TIGHT, TIGHT!!!

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 12-02-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:50 PM
70chev
Advanced

Default Thank you

Thanks Gregg,

That is good advice. My car won't see any track time and I'm starting to think that at 3 times the price, the del-a-lum bushings plus freight to Australia is probably a bit extravagant. I think I'll just order the Energy Suspension kit and hope that does it. I'm glad they're working for you.

Darren
Old 12-02-2014, 07:05 PM
touyech2883
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put energy suspension bushings in my 93. They can be a pain to install but with a press it goes quite smoothly. I lubed them very well with the supplied lube and silglide and I still get squeaks when initially driving the car after it sits for only the first couple bumps or flex then it goes away which is normal. After I aligned it she's nice and tight. (Like a man's anus). Sorry I had go with the borat reference.

Get notified of new replies

To Which Front Control Arm Bushings

Quick Reply: Which Front Control Arm Bushings