C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

86' vette overdrive problem....

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 11:49 AM
blackonblackLT1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86' vette overdrive problem....

Hey wuts up...listen my 86' vette has been having an overdrive problem lately...it switches into overdrive sometimes on its own, and when i press the button on top of my shift **** to switch it to overdrive on the parkway it wont work at all. it's like the car decides when it wants to go into overdrive mode. Can anyone diagnose my problem and if so can you please tell me how to fix it. There is absolutley nothing on the overdrive option in any manuals i've looked in.
Old 08-06-2002, 12:03 PM
Hendej
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 86' vette overdrive problem.... (blackonblackLT1)

Your symptoms point to an electrical problem in the control circuit. One of both of these should fix it:

OD relay on firewall is bad or the connector is loose. Check the connections and/or replace the relay ($8).

OD switch on shifter is broken or the wires to it have flexed off. Pull the console and look for the miniswitch on top of the shifter. Don't lose the spring.

Checkout the relay first, it's easier to get to.

While you're at it, change the OD fluid. Low fluid won't cause your symptoms, but changing it is cheap insurance against worse problems later on.

Quick Reply: 86' vette overdrive problem....