C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 05:28 PM
shaft1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak

I replaced my intake gasket about 3 weeks ago since back of my intake was wet and I fgured the china wall leaked and thats what caused the oil to drip down to the oil filter and getting it wet as well.

Unfortunately after I changed the intake gasket and china walls sealed correctly, the oil still drips down to the oil filter but it seems like its not as bad. Wondering where the oil is coming from -- the oil sending units are not leaking, valve cover gaskets are good and the China walls are no longer leaking. When I changed the oil a couple of months ago I made sure the old oil filter gasket was removed so I'm good with that.

One thing that is strange is when I see the oil filter wet after a drive, I would wipe it dry and in a day or two without driving the Vette, I would check the oil filter and its wet again. How's the oil leaking when the engine has not been started in a couple of days -- obviously no oil pressure. Rear main seal? Is there anything around the oil filter that would cause a leak?

Last edited by shaft1; 03-29-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:55 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

Is the oil coming from above the filter and dripping down the block or is it dripping down the filter. Your profile tells me you have a LT1...always good to tell us what year car/engine you have.

I had an issue with oil dripping down the filter. The filter seal was good. Turned out it was the adapter for the filter to the block. I bought a gasket kit for the block to adapter and it did not solve the problem. The gasket was very thin, like copy paper thickness. I ended up making my own gasket from some gasket material I had that was about 1/8" thick. I punched the holes for the bolts smaller so the bolt had to thread thru the gasket. Then I put a little "The Right Stuff" on the gasket material both sides and around the bolt holes. This solved the problem and have not had a issue since. There was a thread a while back where someone had a similar issue and found that the bolts that held the adapter to the block were a fraction too long. I don't recall if they ground off a little amount off the end of the bolt or used a washer under the head.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:26 PM
shaft1
Instructor

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
Is the oil coming from above the filter and dripping down the block or is it dripping down the filter. Your profile tells me you have a LT1...always good to tell us what year car/engine you have.

I had an issue with oil dripping down the filter. The filter seal was good. Turned out it was the adapter for the filter to the block. I bought a gasket kit for the block to adapter and it did not solve the problem. The gasket was very thin, like copy paper thickness. I ended up making my own gasket from some gasket material I had that was about 1/8" thick. I punched the holes for the bolts smaller so the bolt had to thread thru the gasket. Then I put a little "The Right Stuff" on the gasket material both sides and around the bolt holes. This solved the problem and have not had a issue since. There was a thread a while back where someone had a similar issue and found that the bolts that held the adapter to the block were a fraction too long. I don't recall if they ground off a little amount off the end of the bolt or used a washer under the head.
Thanks for the quick and great advise. I will check that adapter asap.

What kinda of gasket material did you use? Something I can buy at the local auto parts store.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:59 AM
shaft1
Instructor

I found the gasket/ oring kit GM PART # 88893990 -- $4.42 from my dealer in town. Will pickit up tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:06 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by John A. Marker

^^Same issue back in 2012. Replaced gaskets and all is well.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:52 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

I had gasket material that I had bought a couple of years ago on another project. Material was blue and thick. You should be able to buy gasket material from most auto parts stores. I also have a set of hole punches that make this much easier.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:44 PM
shaft1
Instructor

Got the oring and gasket replaced last night. What a PITA to remove the old gasket that was stuck on the engine block. I used a razor blade to scrape the old gasket out but with very limited room to move around it took a while to remove it. The old oring was hard as a rock felt like it was made out of plastic.

So far no more oil leak. Thanks you guys for the help.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil leak

Quick Reply: Oil leak