C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Beefing up an 84 Crossfire Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:37 PM
wombat457
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beefing up an 84 Crossfire Engine?

Evening all,

My 84 hasn't been driven in awhile, 2 years in fact, but am about to put her back on the road and want to "beef her up" a bit before I do.

The old Crossfire has 75,000 miles on it and while it runs very well I am becoming disenchanted with the power it produces, 225 BHP. What I'd like to do is give it a bit more get up and go and perhaps up the HP to the low/mid 300 HP.

I have considered dropping in a new custom built motor (450 HP) for around $5,000 but if there is a cheaper way of bringing new life to this motor I would be interested (very interested) in hearing any advice.

Basically, what can I do to increase the HP and general performance without having to be Bill Gates to do it?
Old 03-31-2015, 10:34 PM
touyech2883
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wombat457
Evening all,

My 84 hasn't been driven in awhile, 2 years in fact, but am about to put her back on the road and want to "beef her up" a bit before I do.

The old Crossfire has 75,000 miles on it and while it runs very well I am becoming disenchanted with the power it produces, 225 BHP. What I'd like to do is give it a bit more get up and go and perhaps up the HP to the low/mid 300 HP.

I have considered dropping in a new custom built motor (450 HP) for around $5,000 but if there is a cheaper way of bringing new life to this motor I would be interested (very interested) in hearing any advice.

Basically, what can I do to increase the HP and general performance without having to be Bill Gates to do it?

If I owned an 84 which I'd like to one day especially for how affordable they have become, here's what I would do. Port match the intake( I hear that alone is good for for 20hp),
have the throttle body's rebuilt and balanced, long tube headers, springs and 1.6rr's, update that nylon timing gear set with a steel replacement, fresh tune up with new coil/plugs/wires. Think this would cost alot less than replacing the engine and really wake it up. Especially if you do the work yourself. Good luck
Old 03-31-2015, 10:43 PM
wombat457
Intermediate

Originally Posted by touyech2883
If I owned an 84 which I'd like to one day especially for how affordable they have become, here's what I would do. Port match the intake( I hear that alone is good for for 20hp),
have the throttle body's rebuilt and balanced, long tube headers, springs and 1.6rr's, update that nylon timing gear set with a steel replacement, fresh tune up with new coil/plugs/wires. Think this would cost alot less than replacing the engine and really wake it up. Especially if you do the work yourself. Good luck
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not all that handy when it comes to doing mechanical work so any work done will be done by the "pro's" or someone who knows what they are doing and that isn't me

Appreciate your input, cheers.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:50 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Pretty neat article:

http://www.superchevy.com/features/0...hevy-corvette/
Old 03-31-2015, 10:55 PM
Danglin
Intermediate

Interesting. I just bought an '84 that has a 383 bottom end and Edelbrock Performer heads. Supposedly, the intake has been port-matched, but I can't verify. Unfortunately, it still has the stock Crossfire system and totally lays down at 3500 RPM.

Kind of thinking of swapping to a carb while save for an LS swap.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:10 PM
wombat457
Intermediate

Thanks guys. That article was interesting, especially the over all cost of getting the car down to mid 11's.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:02 AM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Danglin
Interesting. I just bought an '84 that has a 383 bottom end and Edelbrock Performer heads. Supposedly, the intake has been port-matched, but I can't verify. Unfortunately, it still has the stock Crossfire system and totally lays down at 3500 RPM.

Kind of thinking of swapping to a carb while save for an LS swap.
If you still have the stock TBIs on a 383, even with the stock intake ported, you are restricted by the size of the bores on the TBIs. There used to be a shop in Arizona that could bore the TBIs and increase the airflow. You would have to tune of course. Sorry, I don't recall the name of the shop but... they were also involved with the "Renegade" intake for Cross-Fires.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:18 AM
Danglin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1984Z51auto
If you still have the stock TBIs on a 383, even with the stock intake ported, you are restricted by the size of the bores on the TBIs. There used to be a shop in Arizona that could bore the TBIs and increase the airflow. You would have to tune of course. Sorry, I don't recall the name of the shop but... they were also involved with the "Renegade" intake for Cross-Fires.
You think a carb might be my best solution?
Old 04-01-2015, 07:21 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Danglin
You think a carb might be my best solution?
No.

If you can tbi a 454 you can boost that current system to feed a 383.

If its falling on its face horrible at 3500 you have something wrong besides throttle body size.

Two Crossfire Throttle bodies bored to 2.375" will flow over 1,000 CFM. The biggest thing isn't air needs its injector size for that kind of mod.

Summit racing has aftermarket intakes for them now too. So I wouldn't ditch the crossfire if it was me.

But back to the falling on its face part. I bet something is not right somewhere causing your problems. So more diagnosing less replacing
Old 04-01-2015, 09:24 AM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I would not carb it either. The TBI system can be made to run good. It just takes persistence and finding the right combination. Going to a carb requires a lot of other changes that greatly complicate the project. To me, your laydown at 3500 RPM sounds like another fuel pressure problem, should be 13 psi or so under acceleration, but trying to diagnose at a distance is always risky. Have you checked fuel pressure?
Old 04-01-2015, 10:25 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by crowz
No.

If you can tbi a 454 you can boost that current system to feed a 383.

If its falling on its face horrible at 3500 you have something wrong besides throttle body size.

Two Crossfire Throttle bodies bored to 2.375" will flow over 1,000 CFM. The biggest thing isn't air needs its injector size for that kind of mod.

Summit racing has aftermarket intakes for them now too. So I wouldn't ditch the crossfire if it was me.

But back to the falling on its face part. I bet something is not right somewhere causing your problems. So more diagnosing less replacing
100% I ran a ported CFI on a small block 400 and it would pull well to 5k. In fact, 5k was my shift point at the drag track.

Get notified of new replies

To Beefing up an 84 Crossfire Engine?

Quick Reply: Beefing up an 84 Crossfire Engine?