C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Changing Clutch Hydraulic Line ('89) - advice and tips sought

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 11:42 AM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Changing Clutch Hydraulic Line ('89) - advice and tips sought

Hey everyone,

Well, after four years I finally managed to get my car back down on the ground this weekend and took it for a little spin. Everything seems to be working well (despite the fact that it's running on four year old fuel); I've forgotten just how enjoyable the car is to drive!

Unfortunately, last night while on my way home from a short cruise to burn off some of that old fuel, I suffered what appeared to be a catastrophic hydraulic clutch failure. Smoking hydraulic fluid all over the exhaust, soft clutch pedal, and no clutch. Turns out, the short section of rubber on the clutch hydraulic line was touching the header (TPiS long tubes) and it burned through. My fault - I should have checked/noticed it beforehand.

So now it looks like I need to replace that hydraulic line. Any tips or advice from those who've been there before? Are there any particular brand(s) or manufacturer(s) I should consider (or avoid)?

I'm thinking I may just go ahead and replace the master and slave cylinders while I'm in there. The slave was replaced when I did the clutch a few years back so it's probably in decent shape but the master looks to be original and truth be told the seals don't look to be in great shape. Any particular brand(s) or manufacturer(s) to consider or avoid? Do both master and slave need to be bench bled BEFORE they're installed?

Thanks very much in advance. Cheers!

Last edited by TheCorvetteKid; 04-05-2015 at 11:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Changing Clutch Hydraulic Line ('89) - advice and tips sought