C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Headlight relay kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 11:09 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 172 Likes on 149 Posts

Default Headlight relay kit?

if you have installed a relay kit for their headlights I have some questions

-What components did you use?

-How did you route the wiring?

-Where did you locate the relays?

I am having issues with one of my Headlight connectors and I feel that if I am going to fix the connector, maybe I should fix the circuit

Thoughts?
Old 04-28-2015, 07:12 AM
jsinga
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got the relay kit from Daniel Stern Lighting. At the same time I got a set of Ciebe lamps. The relays are mounted on the left front fender well. I ran a 6ga wire from the battery installed a 30amp fuse and ran new 12ga wire for the headlights. I need to find a new pair of headlight sockets after 7 or 8 years. Look for ceramic ones if you can find them.
If you check the voltage drop you'll find it's about .5v. Lights fall off quite a bit with voltage drop.
The big deal is the Ciebe lamps and overwatt bulbs (not the do nothing blue silverlight junk). E-code lamps and overwatt bulbs make a tremendous difference driving at night and in the rain. The lamps shine down on the road not all over the place. I'm running 90/110w bulbs. I've never had oncomming drivers flash at me like I was blinding them.
Factory wiring would just blow the fuses instantly and melt out the headlight and dimmer switch.
Overwatt bulbs won't last forever. The first set of 100/130w bulbs lasted about 2 years. I was doing a lot of long distance driving at night. I've had better luck with the 90w low beam bulbs.
I have nothing to compare my lights to except the dim stock lights. If you upgrade you won't be disappointed. I spent about $200. HID is another option. I like the white light and I still have both high and low beam.

JS
Old 04-28-2015, 07:36 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Thanks

How/where is the 12ga routed to the passenger side?

I think I am going to fix the current issue then work on the upgrade
Old 04-28-2015, 08:40 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by jsinga
I got the relay kit from Daniel Stern Lighting. At the same time I got a set of Ciebe lamps. The relays are mounted on the left front fender well. I ran a 6ga wire from the battery installed a 30amp fuse and ran new 12ga wire for the headlights. I need to find a new pair of headlight sockets after 7 or 8 years. Look for ceramic ones if you can find them.
If you check the voltage drop you'll find it's about .5v. Lights fall off quite a bit with voltage drop.
The big deal is the Ciebe lamps and overwatt bulbs (not the do nothing blue silverlight junk). E-code lamps and overwatt bulbs make a tremendous difference driving at night and in the rain. The lamps shine down on the road not all over the place. I'm running 90/110w bulbs. I've never had oncomming drivers flash at me like I was blinding them.
Factory wiring would just blow the fuses instantly and melt out the headlight and dimmer switch.
Overwatt bulbs won't last forever. The first set of 100/130w bulbs lasted about 2 years. I was doing a lot of long distance driving at night. I've had better luck with the 90w low beam bulbs.
I have nothing to compare my lights to except the dim stock lights. If you upgrade you won't be disappointed. I spent about $200. HID is another option. I like the white light and I still have both high and low beam.

JS
did this myself they are great I ran the both 12 gauge to the hot post in front of my battery on a 94 ran the wires down the drivers side put the relays by the airpump then acrossed the front for a pass side put all inside that grove flex conduit looks factory I am running 90-100 bulbs stay away from that HID ebay crap floating around

Last edited by antfarmer2; 04-28-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:47 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

I am just looking to improve the power going to the E-Code H4s I have.. only running 55W at the moment, but I noticed last night they are quite weak, so I figure start with the power first, bulbs later
Old 04-28-2015, 10:00 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
I am just looking to improve the power going to the E-Code H4s I have.. only running 55W at the moment, but I noticed last night they are quite weak, so I figure start with the power first, bulbs later
Good plan talk to Daniel great guy and a lot of info he can be a bit slow answering but alot of info on his site
Old 04-28-2015, 10:10 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

I've always maintained that if you provide MAX VOLTS to the even stock lamps a person should see dramatic improvement. Providing MAX VOLTS requires good lamp connectors, appropriate gauged wire and RELAYS to trigger/power the lamps.

Stern is the "go to guy" for lighting but there's sufficient reads that with simple wiring understanding and principles you can DIY and be done with it.

Nearly every late model production car is done with relays for highs and lows.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-28-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:23 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I've always maintained that if you provide MAX VOLTS to the even stock lamps a person should see dramatic improvement. Providing MAX VOLTS requires good lamp connectors, appropriate gauged wire and RELAYS to trigger/power the lamps.

Stern is the "go to guy" for lighting but there's sufficient reads that with simple wiring understanding and principles you can DIY and be done with it.

Nearly every late model production car is done with relays for highs and lows.
stock wire sucks on the headlights. Look at the fix from the circuit doctor to get them to work right have not done it yet have to turn the fogs off to get low beams
Old 04-28-2015, 11:27 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
stock wire sucks on the headlights. Look at the fix from the circuit doctor to get them to work right have not done it yet have to turn the fogs off to get low beams
Are you referring to adding the additional Bulb?
Old 04-28-2015, 11:39 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Are you referring to adding the additional Bulb?
yes
Old 04-28-2015, 11:48 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Ah, if I add the relay kit to improve the voltage to the headlights then the additional bulb is not required
Old 04-28-2015, 11:56 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Ah, if I add the relay kit to improve the voltage to the headlights then the additional bulb is not required
Not sure what kit your useing mine worked fine then it gave me fits that is when I joined this forum was told to turn off my fogs
Old 04-28-2015, 12:00 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Not sure what kit your useing mine worked fine then it gave me fits that is when I joined this forum was told to turn off my fogs
I will be using my own kit

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight relay kit?

Quick Reply: Headlight relay kit?