C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1996 window switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 07:03 AM
homejay
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 window switch

How can I remove the window switch on the drivers side. The window always goes down but does not always go up unless you play with the switch.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:08 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by homejay
How can I remove the window switch on the drivers side. The window always goes down but does not always go up unless you play with the switch.
On my 94 you just take the two screws out of the bottom of the door pull and lift out
Old 05-05-2015, 09:38 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

I looked in my '94 service manual ( I think it is the same for the '96 ).

It has four steps for the armrest filler and 3 for the window switch.

Armrest filler.
1. Screws from armrest filler pull cup.

2. Armrest filler by raising rear edge and pulling rearward to clear clip on forward edge of filler.

3. Wiring harness connectors for side window switch and outside rearview mirror switch.

4. Transfer parts as necessary.

Window switch

1 Armrest filler -- LH as described in this section (see above)

2. Harness electrical connector form switch.

3. Window switch from armrest filler --LH

So it doesn't look like you have to take off the door panel, just the armrest filler panel that starts just in front of the flip up armrest storage. That filler panel has screws in the bottom of the pull recess and some tabs at the front/top of the filler panel.

I'm glad it looks so easy because I have a window switch on my '95 that was doing the same thing as yours. I did have some luck with just "exercising" the switch. When I worked it quite a bit, it would work perfectly for a while. I was thinking about taking mine out and cleaning the contacts in the switch. If that didn't fix it completely, I found a replacement switch.

Good luck.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:51 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Exercise is certainly good for the switch. I thought the switch is vented so I'd think maybe contact cleaner in the vents and exercise. The buttons may be offset in the switch from the electrical aspect so maybe this won't work. The later switch I've never attempted to separate.

I'm quite sure '92 - '96 LH switches are all the same.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:42 PM
homejay
3rd Gear

Default switch

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Exercise is certainly good for the switch. I thought the switch is vented so I'd think maybe contact cleaner in the vents and exercise. The buttons may be offset in the switch from the electrical aspect so maybe this won't work. The later switch I've never attempted to separate.

I'm quite sure '92 - '96 LH switches are all the same.
Thank you
Old 05-05-2015, 04:43 PM
homejay
3rd Gear

Default switch

Thank you. I will give it a try.

Originally Posted by QCVette
I looked in my '94 service manual ( I think it is the same for the '96 ).

It has four steps for the armrest filler and 3 for the window switch.

Armrest filler.
1. Screws from armrest filler pull cup.

2. Armrest filler by raising rear edge and pulling rearward to clear clip on forward edge of filler.

3. Wiring harness connectors for side window switch and outside rearview mirror switch.

4. Transfer parts as necessary.

Window switch

1 Armrest filler -- LH as described in this section (see above)

2. Harness electrical connector form switch.

3. Window switch from armrest filler --LH

So it doesn't look like you have to take off the door panel, just the armrest filler panel that starts just in front of the flip up armrest storage. That filler panel has screws in the bottom of the pull recess and some tabs at the front/top of the filler panel.

I'm glad it looks so easy because I have a window switch on my '95 that was doing the same thing as yours. I did have some luck with just "exercising" the switch. When I worked it quite a bit, it would work perfectly for a while. I was thinking about taking mine out and cleaning the contacts in the switch. If that didn't fix it completely, I found a replacement switch.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To 1996 window switch

Quick Reply: 1996 window switch