C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

87 C4 Starting and Engine Running problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 11:39 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be clogged cats. Have you looked at the exhaust? Would also account for the pinging noise you're hearing.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:06 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Clogged cats is also far more likely to show symptoms under heavy load, WOT than at idle and starting.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:40 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,263 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Originally Posted by brotherfak
I just replaced the FPR and I took extreme care not to damage the diaphragm. there is also no smell of gas in the hose.

I did pinch the intake fuel line and got no pressure at the fuel rail. then pinched the return line. now when I turn the key the pressure goes to 38-40#. then clicks and goes to zero. even with the return line pinched.
now if I turn the key on to get pressure then immediately turn it off the pressure holds I did this 3 times and got to 60# at the rail. with the key off it held steady until I released the return line.
with return pinched shouldnt the system hold pressure? maybe u have an inector clicking open on you.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:50 PM
brotherfak
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
with return pinched shouldnt the system hold pressure? maybe u have an inector clicking open on you.
Ok so i know its been awhile since i last posted on this but i have narrowed down the issue. I am flooding the engine. When i pull the fuel injector fusses i can get the car to start until the fuel thats in the cylinders have burnt off. if i plug the fuse back in i can get it to start again but it will die on my.
So....I bought a noid light and tested the injector pugs and what do you know with the key on they are lit up. if i crank the car they flash when i stop cranking they go out.
Now the fun stuff. if i leave the key on they may come on they may flicker. when this happens i AM NOT cranking the engine. it is just sitting with the key on. all 8 injectors and the cold start injectors do the same thing.
Now could this be my computer.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:29 PM
brotherfak
Cruising

Default Additional parts that have been changed

In addition to the parts listed above, i have recently changed the EGR Valve and the Idle Air Control Valve.

Now for a new list of parts that have been changed:
Fuel:
Filter, FPR.
Ignition:
Wires, Plugs, Ignition Module, Ignition Coil, Rotor, Rotor Cap.
Sensors:
EGR, Idle Air Control Valve, Mass Air Flow, Relays for MAF.
New seals on all injectors and fuel rail.
Cats are not clogged. Fuel should still be good but this all happened with fresh gas.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:58 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,263 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Not really, The pick up coil isn't likely going to generate a pulse w/o the distributor shaft rotating, but I'd still visually inspect it. More likely I'd inspect the injector harness for shorts to ground. A short to ground, on the ground or "signal" side of the harness would activate the injectors when the key is on (power to the injectors).

did u check the harness? sounds like u need new harness and/or injectors.

i dont see A follow up to Tom's suggestion above nor do I see replaced injectors on your list. First I would check the harness.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:37 PM
brotherfak
Cruising

Default Update

Ok, it's been awhile since I had an update on my c4. The original problem was the car kept dying on me. I could pull the fuel injector fuses crank it for a wile then it would run for a short time.
I had posted that my injectors where clicking when the car was not running but the key was in the on position. After being told that was impossible I bought an avoid light and confirmed that all my injectors where active without the car running. To make matters worse this happened at random.
The fix:
new coy. That was all. Now she is purring like an old cat.
thanks for the help.
Brother.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:51 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

new coy what is that?
Old 08-21-2017, 08:08 PM
brotherfak
Cruising

Well, I wrote this on my cell phone and it auto corrected. It's the CPU. That ended up being the culprit.
The following users liked this post:
xrav22 (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 07:13 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Whose MAF sensor ?

Quick Reply: 87 C4 Starting and Engine Running problem