C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

torque converter question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 09:16 AM
phucking-low
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque converter question

I have a 84 automatic corvette, my current setup requires me to buy a 2800 stall converter. ACC Boss Hog "Street Bandit" GM 700R4 Torque Converter 27 Spline Lock-up is what I am looking at. The description says its 2800-3200 depending on the application, so my question on a L83 350 and me needing a 2800 stall would this stall work for me. Sorry for my lack of knowledge I am new to all this v8 and auto trans stuff.

Also is the 84 corvette 700r4 a 27 spline

Last question, I converted to a carb setup and I bought the TCI torque converter lock up switch kit so it will go into overdrive because there is no more computer. Am I correct in thinking I still need a lock up stall for it to work correctly with my TCI lock up switch kit?
Old 06-22-2015, 09:49 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by phucking-low

Also is the 84 corvette 700r4 a 27 spline
Might be! You would need to confirm visually actually assuming that maybe in the past 30 years that the transmission could have been replaced, rebuilt or repaired.

You could maybe make an somewhat educated guess if you had the transmission code information that's stamped into the pan rail of the case. That's no guarantee BUT if it happened to be a code for a 30 spline it would seem to be an "answer all".

I believe that if the transmission serial number ends in a T then it's assumed to be a 30 spline.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:17 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

There is a switch in the transmission that tells the ECM that the trans is in OD. Many people in your situation connect that switch to the TCC lockup wire so the torque converter will lock up when the trans goes into OD.

Get notified of new replies

To torque converter question

Quick Reply: torque converter question