C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Trouble codes 16 32 55

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 05:50 PM
HollywoodHornet
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trouble codes 16 32 55

This thing is becoming a money pit quick, any help would be greatly appreciated. A few months ago my 1993 Corvette automatic was hesitating on acceleration, and backfiring, then you back off the gas, and off it goes. Also driving at relatively high speeds with cruise on, over 75mph would trip a code 32 and illuminate the engine light. I squeezed the EGR while the engine is running, and it does reduce RPM, almost stalling the engine. I assumed the hesitating and such was optispark related, so I changed the plugs, wires, opti and harness, water pump. I started the car, drove it to test it, and the engine stalled. I started it up, drove it around, it acted the same as before all the work, the engine light came on, I checked the codes and holy crap, code city. Now I have a code 16 (Opti), 32(EGR or ECM), and 55(lean fuel mixture). I've ordered a new fuel pump and filter, I'm gonna remove the EGR and clean it, despite it seems to work fine, replace the pump and filter. My question is how the hell do I have an opti code after replacing it? WTF? Could maybe the lean fuel issue make the opti malfunction? Is my ECM bad? Is my new opti bad? I just don't know what to do to get this running right and those codes gone. I'm this close to crashing this bitch on purpose, collecting the insurance and buying a different one. Has anyone replaced this stuff and gotten new codes? Did anyone fix all this?
Old 07-10-2015, 06:03 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Wish you would have posted before all the work. My 94 was acting like that with no codes $50 and replaced the front two o2's ran like a raped ape.

And have seen a lot of folks getting bad brand new optis.

A money pit is a hole you don't look into first. Not the holes fault.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 07-10-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:27 PM
HollywoodHornet
Cruising

In my defense the last time my car was acting like that the opti was going out, I ignored it, and the opti went out and left me stranded. It was acting very similar this time around. Since it had been four years since I last replaced it I assumed it was the opti again and I didn't want a stranded 2.0 version. You can believe how disappointed I was when I did all that work and it ran exactly the same, arguably worse. I'll have to purchase some 02 sensors as well then, might as well, I've bought everything else so why not? Thanks, hopefully this fixes it in addition to all my fuel related parts that just came in. This 93 really makes me miss my 84. That thing was built like a brick shithouse, it never broke.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:47 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Get the tool to release your fuel lines up top take off the fuel line off the tank then off the back of the filter and the return line then take the lines off up top then puul the lines and the filter out then take off the filter. Will save a gas bath and a lot of cussing.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:39 PM
HollywoodHornet
Cruising

Thank you, guys. I pulled the lines off and pulled the fuel filter and lines out from the engine compartment. It was an easy change with the right tools. I changed the 02's as well. The passenger side was a bitch. Runs great now!
Old 07-26-2015, 09:15 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by HollywoodHornet
Thank you, guys. I pulled the lines off and pulled the fuel filter and lines out from the engine compartment. It was an easy change with the right tools. I changed the 02's as well. The passenger side was a bitch. Runs great now!
good job
Old 07-27-2015, 09:29 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Hope you saved the last opti!

Get notified of new replies

To Trouble codes 16 32 55

Quick Reply: Trouble codes 16 32 55