C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What could cause Temp sensor probe failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 03:09 PM
timmason
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What could cause Temp sensor probe failure

I have a 96 lt1 that I just replaced the temp sensor probe on the front of the motor. I know there is 2 one on the side near spark plugs is the analog Guage and the one in front is digital (computer). I replaced the front one because the car went from 195 to LO and shuts motor off thinking engine is to cold, after replacing it car ran perfect for awhile but started doing the sane thing replaced once more now same issue. If anyone has a fix I'd love to have the advice
Old 07-17-2015, 03:18 PM
Russell Boulding
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wiring just behind the sensor connector is prone to problems. An open circuit failure or a high resistance failure will result in a cold reading. Have you trying slowly manipulating the connector and wiring up to a few inches from the connector? I've replaced a lot of "pigtails", new connectors with new wires already fitted, for the issue you are having. The problem I find is broke wires inside the insulation. The wire insulation is fine but inside the insulation the copper wires break anywhere from just behind the connector to an inch or so back.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:26 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

How are you verifying the sensors are bad?

These are simple circuit devices and are fairly robust. If I recall correctly if this sensor fails internally then it would short to ground or give a low impedance across both wires. This should show up as an over heat condition and not a low temp condition. I could be backwards on this circuit though.

I would personally be looking more toward wiring issues or computer issues.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:04 PM
timmason
Heel & Toe

I will have the wiring checked again just to eliminate it as the problem
Old 07-17-2015, 05:15 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

It might have a air bubble in there you can use the beeders or do like I do and jack the right rear up and let the air bubble out.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:12 AM
timmason
Heel & Toe

Thanks guys for the input suggestions are always welcome. Stay safe
Old 07-18-2015, 10:37 AM
drthomas60
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default changed mine

I had a hard start issue, too much fuel. I actually went to fuel pressure regulator thinking it was flooding the cylinders and there was a little fuel on the vacuum line so it was leaking, but the temp sensor was the problem. I used a volt ohm meter and measured high resistance. the FSM indicated that the ECM checks the temperature as one of the first conditions to determine air fuel. Mine was sending about -30 degrees when the ambient was around 70 degrees. I changed it out and starts like a champ. I did use a little Teflon tape, but read later that is not such a good idea as it could isolate it from ground. but it seems to be working fine now. if you have a meter you can heat it up in some boiling water and watch the resistance change or place it in the freezer to see if any difference. it sure will make your engine change starting characteristics.

Get notified of new replies

To What could cause Temp sensor probe failure

Quick Reply: What could cause Temp sensor probe failure