C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Electric problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 05:33 PM
bruce017
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13
Default Electric problem

88 l98, 98,000 miles, stock motor, tuned up, plugs, wires, rotor, coil,cap, after that still have miss, like before new parts put on. But now when I push on brakes the speedo goes crazy, tach seems to be fine, also dash
Lights seem to spike a little, could I have put the connector to the coil on wrong, the single wires I put red to red and white to white. Any help would be appreciated, thanks Bruce Carlisle
Old 07-31-2015, 05:44 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Don't know about the speedo but if you have the same miss maybe your spark plug wires were on wrong and still are I would check your fireing order.

Any codes?
Old 07-31-2015, 07:44 PM
bruce017
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Don't know about the speedo but if you have the same miss maybe your spark plug wires were on wrong and still are I would check your fireing order.

Any codes?
No codes, think somebody pulled the check engine bulb or disconnected it, I have tripled checked the wires, unless my diagram is wrong they are correct. Thanks
Old 07-31-2015, 10:16 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 436 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce017
No codes, think somebody pulled the check engine bulb or disconnected it, I have tripled checked the wires, unless my diagram is wrong they are correct. Thanks
If you turn on the car to run but don't start the your check engine light should be on, if the light is not on I would start with pulling the info center cluster and confirm the bulb and circuit.

As others have stated confirm your firing order, have you done a compression test?

Do you have a cold cylinder (Electrically Firing but not fueling) you can test this with a no contact Infra Red Thermometer in the first few minuet's of starting a cold Motor, their available from $15.00 and up.

With the Dash while you were pulling and snaking the plug wires in could you have broken or damaged the ground on the back of the engine? so check the grounds including the one hidden under the heater box on right side frame rail.

Last edited by s carter; 07-31-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:29 PM
bruce017
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by s carter
If you turn on the car to run but don't start the your check engine light should be on, if the light is not on I would start with pulling the info center cluster and confirm the bulb and circuit.

As others have stated confirm your firing order, have you done a compression test?

Do you have a cold cylinder (Electrically Firing but not fueling) you can test this with a no contact Infra Red Thermometer in the first few minuet's of starting a cold Motor, their available from $15.00 and up.

With the Dash while you were pulling and snaking the plug wires in could you have broken or damaged the ground on the back of the engine? so check the grounds including the one hidden under the heater box on right side frame rail.
will check all that has been suggested, will take Some time thanks for replys
Old 08-09-2015, 05:33 PM
bruce017
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '13
Default Electric problem

will check all that has been suggested, will take Some time thanks for replys
When replacing the coil, do both ground strap and ground wire from coil need to be grounded? Same place or can they be different locations? Should the ground wire from the coil shock you or is the coil bad? Autozone said they could not check the coil.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:46 PM
bruce017
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '13
Default Electric problem

When replacing the coil, do both ground strap and ground wire from coil need to be grounded? Same place or can they be different locations? Should the ground wire from the coil shock you or is the coil bad? Autozone said they could not check the coil.
The dash lights was a ground, the miss was one of the following, ignition module, rotor, new cap, new coil, all or one of the replacements, running goog, no more miss, now to see about why the check engine light does not work, thanks for the replies.

Get notified of new replies

To Electric problem

Quick Reply: Electric problem