C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

VATS & keys...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 06:40 PM
RicG
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VATS & keys...

VATS & keys...

Some time ago I lost my keys to my 89... I recently received a replacement set from GM. With the new key I can turn the ignition on but the starter will not kick in. I figured this to be the VATS. The security light flashes when the key is in the ignition. So I still can't start the Vette. I have been working away from home for some time now and I am concerned about the motor condition leaving it without a run for nearly 8 months now.

Can anybody offer some help here as I don’t know where to go next with this... If the VATS is the problem.. I don’t know how to get around to it. Can I use a scantool or some way to find what the resistor value is so I can get a key cut with the correct chip?
Old 08-08-2015, 11:03 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Last I knew you can find a bypass module on ebay for your ecm or you can get it turned off in your chip, then you have to bypass the starter relay.

http://www.joestradingpost.com/vats/89_startrelay.htm

I got my chip tuned anyway for my 86 and bypassed the starter relay like in the link. Long ago on my 85 trans am I upgrade it to an 86 n up ecm then used an 89 chip I got off c-list and couldn't figure out why it would start. I only needed the bypass module for that car since it didn't have vats from the factory.

edit: Once done you can get chipless keys or with any chip blank off ebay and have anyplace make a copy.

Last edited by BOOT77; 08-08-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:32 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The SECURITY light has nothing to do with VATS, as they are not connected in any way.

There is a VATS module that controls the VATS functions. The only connection to the ECM is the signal to enable the injectors (30 Hz square wave). The ECM will set error code 46 if the ignition is turned on and the ECM does not see that VATS signal.

Sounds like you need the correct resistor pellet value in your new keys. The typical procedure is to try various resistor values until the engine cranks, waiting 4 minutes between tries for the VATS to reset. An experienced locksmith can do this.

If you feel like spending a lot of time you can take the dash apart and take out the VATS module. There is a resistor in the VATS module that matches the resistor pellet in the key, so that is one way to find out what the correct resistor value is.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:07 AM
colter
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 58 Posts

The SECURITY light is also connected to VATS. It's even talked about in the GM manual.

Maybe they changed things with the later VATS in a later C4's.

Get notified of new replies

To VATS & keys...

Quick Reply: VATS & keys...