C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'84 Hood Latch tightening?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 01:55 PM
bls72bmw
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default '84 Hood Latch tightening?

Hello,
Asking for a little help on my 1984 Hood Latch located on the front left of the car.
There is some 'wiggle room' on the lower part of the hinge where it should connect to the hood. The top bolt/nut is fine and flush, however as the picture shows there is a 5-7mm gap between the mount and the hood when flexed. (where the wrench is inserted)

Both of the nuts in the picture are tight- I did not want to crank on them for fear of breaking something inside.

Thank you folks.
Almost done with the AC, in fact it is pulling vacuum right now....holding my breath!

Old 08-11-2015, 02:46 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

How does the hood fit to the bumper cover?

Early hoods I believe were assembled differently from what I've disassembled ('90+) but I believe what has happened to yours is the stud has backed out of the hood reinforcement and you've tightened the nut to where the stud has the separation and it will go no further. If the stud were run into the hood reinforcement further by double-nutting then you could maybe correct it.

I have a '90 hood and I'll check mine to see how it's assembled at that point. I'm expecting mine to be a stud also. It will ttake me a while to accomplish this.

What did you do for refrigerant oil?

Your hood reinforcement is a bit different than my '90 but the stud isn't part of the reinforcement for sure. I double-nutted and I couldn't get the stud to turn in the hood so they've "bonded" it well. The stud has no mid-point separation in my '90 hood. Here's an eBay offering for a hood reinforcement and you can see that there's just regular perforations to drop over the studs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CORVETTE-HOO...-/121708361347

I have illustrations that show the stud and it's also mentioned as NOT SERVICED.

I see some discoloration on the hood hinge in that forward bolt vicinity, do you suppose it a repair and maybe there were washers put on the stud to fit the front hood edge to the bumper cover? How many shims on the right side hinge at the frame rail?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-11-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:34 PM
bls72bmw
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm, WVZR- thanks for the info. I'll take a closer look and maybe scour some ebay auctions to see if I can get a better feel for it. I see the auction you listed was not for an 84- it may be a close fit but slightly different? A pic from yours would probably help spell it out a bit better, but no rush on this project.

Not sure about the discoloration, it's a new car to me.

The AC, I put in 3-4oz as the local tech suggested, and it just isn't quite working right. the compressor keeps kicking on/off, but the system has plenty of r134. I'm giving up; secretly telling myself if I delete the AC it will be faster and more of a 'sports car' with less weight robbing power! If life hands you lemons, make Whiskey Sours!

Get notified of new replies

To '84 Hood Latch tightening?

Quick Reply: '84 Hood Latch tightening?