C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

96 steering rack noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 04:29 PM
Elrick
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 96 steering rack noise

I have an Lt4 with the short rack. I am getting some squeaking noises from both of the steering rack connections. Its more from the single bolt on the driver side. I recently took this rack off because I had some slop in the steering wheel and I thought it was the inner tie rods. They were fine and it turned out to be the intermediate shaft. I fixed that and replaced the bearings and tie rod ends. The ball Joints were fine. The bushings for the rack were fine so I put it all back together. I also put new kyb shocks. I torqued everything up with the car on jack stands. I am not much of a mechanic so I am wondering if I did something wrong here. It seems like the only thing that would make the rack squeak would be bad bushing or its loose. any thoughts on this? The car has 100k on it and runs awesome but the steering is just not right. I am thinking I might send the rack to Turn one over the winter but thats pretty expensive. Thanks for reading this guys.

Quick Reply: 96 steering rack noise