C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

car will not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 08:42 AM
wjc1947
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car will not start

I recently replace the steering wheel in my 1986 pace car, it had a small rs aftermarket wheel. I put it back to original telescopic wheel from another vette. everything works ok however I developed a starting problem I had to play with the key at first to get it to turn over, which I finaly quit doing , I checked battery etc and found nothing wrong then charged battery and played with key at it started to turn over engine but will not start, I think it has something to do with the security system, before I could get it to turn over I did use key in doors locking and unlocking a few times. I did not go below the horn button when I replaces upper steering wheel components. any help would be sincerely appreciated Jerry
Old 08-22-2015, 09:36 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

Originally Posted by wjc1947
I recently replace the steering wheel in my 1986 pace car, it had a small rs aftermarket wheel. I put it back to original telescopic wheel from another vette. everything works ok however I developed a starting problem I had to play with the key at first to get it to turn over, which I finaly quit doing , I checked battery etc and found nothing wrong then charged battery and played with key at it started to turn over engine but will not start, I think it has something to do with the security system, before I could get it to turn over I did use key in doors locking and unlocking a few times. I did not go below the horn button when I replaces upper steering wheel components. any help would be sincerely appreciated Jerry
If this '86 was an original build with the original key cylinder they were known to fail and it was actually refined in '88 and earlier cylinders that failed were replaced with the newer cylinders. The new cylinders also required new keys.

You mention that you have "crank" - does it crank every time or is the "crank" only intermittent after fiddling with the key cylinder?

The easiest way to determine if yours is the older original or the newer cylinder is to take your key to a dealer or anyone else that has single-cut resistance keys and compare. If your key is shorter "head to tip" than the new it's the older key cylinder still. If yours is a direct match for that length then it's been replaced once. I don't recall the difference in blade length and I have notes but not available until maybe Monday.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-22-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:47 PM
wjc1947
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
If this '86 was an original build with the original key cylinder they were known to fail and it was actually refined in '88 and earlier cylinders that failed were replaced with the newer cylinders. The new cylinders also required new keys.

You mention that you have "crank" - does it crank every time or is the "crank" only intermittent after fiddling with the key cylinder?

The easiest way to determine if yours is the older original or the newer cylinder is to take your key to a dealer or anyone else that has single-cut resistance keys and compare. If your key is shorter "head to tip" than the new it's the older key cylinder still. If yours is a direct match for that length then it's been replaced once. I don't recall the difference in blade length and I have notes but not available until maybe Monday.
It was intermittent after fiddling with key, then it started to turn over ever time but quickly drained the battery, I put it on charge last night and haven't messed with it since and will try again when I get home this evening. From the looks of the key I would say its the original one it had a little black plastic one on it if that means anything. I don't think I went far enough down into the column to disturb it or the orange vats wire ,However I did not incur any problems until after returning the steering wheel to original type

Get notified of new replies

To car will not start

Quick Reply: car will not start