C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Most likely culprit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 05:58 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Yah I use seafoam in the fuel for storage and tried some water, but I'll look into the GM stuff. Don't think seafoam works down the intake too well for carbon, sticky gummed up valves it seems to help with like that.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:16 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Ive never used the seafoam so cant really say how well it works for anything in particular. But I have used the gm top engine cleaner many times. It WORKS. Ive never seen anything work so fast or so well.

When I say works I mean you will see CHUNKS on the ground behind your car that came out of your motor if it has carbon. This stuff is flat amazing. Read the warnings on the can carefully to. Don't breath fumes in from it either.

One treatment should get it all out but you could do another in a month if its really bad.

Don't do back to back treatments. You have to give it time to work all that out the tail pipe.

Also if its a high mileage motor I change the oil after using it. Say 200,000 miles or more.

130k or less I haven't really noticed a smell in the oil so I guess its just the higher mileage that seeps thru the rings.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:08 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

I was looking over the msds of several sprays/additives and decided to give the GM stuff a try. When I was out today I just happened to be by a dealer so I grabbed a can, but I'm not gonna try it until spring when I change the oil. Especially since I'm parking the car.

On a side note looks like Seafoam and Sta-Bil could be the same thing. I've compared a lot of msds for products in the past, seems most the carbon stuff has a good amount of naphtha.

Last edited by BOOT77; 10-06-2015 at 05:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Most likely culprit?