C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Roller Cam in 86 Stock motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 02:32 PM
mkcurtiss
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roller Cam in 86 Stock motor

I have an all original 86 Vette with an all original engine, 92000 miles. Runs flawlessly......
I also have a 1963 Falcon restomod, with a 302 roller motor.....
In the process of building the roller motor I have since discovered the enormous amount of free horsepower available by virtue of the reduced friction......
It has been my experience with other flat tappet engines that after 80-90000 miles the lifters and cam are probably worn down and in need of replacing......
I have never installed a hi-perf cam in a fuel injected engine, like the engine in my vette......
Is it common to install roller cam setups in these motors, and what are the challenges I will face as it relates to the fuel injection and timing, etc.......?
All info is appreciated !
Mike
Old 08-31-2015, 07:57 AM
RF1
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mkcurtiss
I have an all original 86 Vette with an all original engine, 92000 miles. Runs flawlessly......
I also have a 1963 Falcon restomod, with a 302 roller motor.....
In the process of building the roller motor I have since discovered the enormous amount of free horsepower available by virtue of the reduced friction......
It has been my experience with other flat tappet engines that after 80-90000 miles the lifters and cam are probably worn down and in need of replacing......
I have never installed a hi-perf cam in a fuel injected engine, like the engine in my vette......
Is it common to install roller cam setups in these motors, and what are the challenges I will face as it relates to the fuel injection and timing, etc.......?
All info is appreciated !
Mike
The challenge is cost.
The 86 block will require retrofit roller lifters. They are lighter than the 87 and up factory roller lifters and equally reliable.
Unfortunately, they are expensive. $500 or more for the set depending on what, and where you buy.
Roller lifters will require shorter pushrods, so reusing your old flat tappet length pushrods will not be possible.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:00 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

which block do you have? if you have aluminum heads, you have a roller block, and all that is required is to just buy a new cam and timing gears and chain, gaskets, then reinstall everything.
Make sure your roller lifters are perfect, because I have seen them come apart. Some times the rollers lose their surface treat, and they ruin the cam

If you change the cam, buy a new harmonic balancer if yours is an original.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:54 PM
PAINTER MAN
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by coupeguy2001
which block do you have? if you have aluminum heads, you have a roller block, and all that is required is to just buy a new cam and timing gears and chain, gaskets, then reinstall everything.
Make sure your roller lifters are perfect, because I have seen them come apart. Some times the rollers lose their surface treat, and they ruin the cam

If you change the cam, buy a new harmonic balancer if yours is an original.
The late 86 does have alum heads but not a roller cam or lifters. That change came in 87. I wish my late 86 had roller lifters.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:17 AM
Wazzugar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You also need a timing cover with a cam button to keep the roller cam from walking, which drives up the cost even more. The later blocks have a 2 bolt plate that keeps the cam in place. I ended up using a 1994 truck block, it didn't actually have roller lifters or a cam plate installed but it had all the machining to install the parts.

Originally Posted by PAINTER MAN
The late 86 does have alum heads but not a roller cam or lifters. That change came in 87. I wish my late 86 had roller lifters.

Get notified of new replies

To Roller Cam in 86 Stock motor

Quick Reply: Roller Cam in 86 Stock motor