C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake Pedal Brake Light Switch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 03:45 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Brake Pedal Brake Light Switch Replacement

The third brake light has never worked on my 1992 ZR1. The bulbs are good so I am assuming the brake pedal switch may be the culprit. I removed all the trim and found two switches, the one on the left has two wire harnesses connected to it, a 3 wire connection (12 ga wire?) on the side and a 2 wire (smaller gauge) on the rear. The switch on the right has what appears to be a tube of some sort connected to rear. Nothing is connected to the two 2 electrical tabs.

Which switch/wire connector is tied to the third brake light and how is switch removed? It looks to be threaded into a fitting that passes through the mount. There is no room to turn the switches themselves.

Are replacement switches available?

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 09-06-2015, 04:16 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
The third brake light has never worked on my 1992 ZR1. The bulbs are good so I am assuming the brake pedal switch may be the culprit. I removed all the trim and found two switches, the one on the left has two wire harnesses connected to it, a 3 wire connection (12 ga wire?) on the side and a 2 wire (smaller gauge) on the rear. The switch on the right has what appears to be a tube of some sort connected to rear. Nothing is connected to the two 2 electrical tabs.

Which switch/wire connector is tied to the third brake light and how is switch removed? It looks to be threaded into a fitting that passes through the mount. There is no room to turn the switches themselves.

Are replacement switches available?

Any help would be appreciated!

the switches if i remember rite don't turn they slide in a ratchet tab. unhook the wires and wiggle the switch out. once you have out you can test with a volt meter in see if the switch is broken.

the switch should be available even at your local parts store

Last edited by s carter; 09-06-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:23 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

For a '92 ZR-1 it might be easier to check for power at the ABS. The same light blue wire is used as a control wire for the ABS as the CHMSL.

If you have a FSM see 8A-110-0 and 8A-44-0 for explanations. I would think it much easier than struggling under the column. If indeed it is the SLS they're quite readily available still.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:27 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
For a '92 ZR-1 it might be easier to check for power at the ABS. The same light blue wire is used as a control wire for the ABS as the CHMSL.

If you have a FSM see 8A-110-0 and 8A-44-0 for explanations. I would think it much easier than struggling under the column. If indeed it is the SLS they're quite readily available still.
Thanks for the info.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:25 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
The switch on the right has what appears to be a tube of some sort connected to rear. Nothing is connected to the two 2 electrical tabs.
isn't that for the cruise control release?

If the main brake lights work, but not the 3rd, s'not the switch.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:52 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by whalepirot
isn't that for the cruise control release?

If the main brake lights work, but not the 3rd, s'not the switch.
It turned out to be the switch. There are three contractors that are associated with the 3-wire connector. The center is orange-12 vdc source and the left wire is blue and the right wire is white. When I placed a jumper between the orange and white wire, the rear lights came on, when I placed a jumper between orange and light blue wire, the third light came on. The switch can be disassembled, so I cleaned the contractors with 400 grit sand paper and everything now works fine.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:56 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
It turned out to be the switch. There are three contractors that are associated with the 3-wire connector. The center is orange-12 vdc source and the left wire is blue and the right wire is white. When I placed a jumper between the orange and white wire, the rear lights came on, when I placed a jumper between orange and light blue wire, the third light came on. The switch can be disassembled, so I cleaned the contractors with 400 grit sand paper and everything now works fine.
Yes the light blue is the CHMSL/ABS and the white is the conventional stop through the directional. I might have just bought a SLS but with it in hand maybe I might have done the "clean". I believe the '92+ does have a steeper asking price so I'd say you've done well.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Pedal Brake Light Switch Replacement

Quick Reply: Brake Pedal Brake Light Switch Replacement