C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

symptoms of a failing water pump LT1

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 09:33 PM
chadk
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default symptoms of a failing water pump LT1

Hello all, I was sitting here thinking of what are the symptoms of a failing water pump on an LT1 engine. I don't have any signs that I know of now but am curious because the LT1 water pump is driven by the CAM. I had water pumps on previous cars just tie up. Being a direct drive (no belt) how would a seized water pump on an LT1 engine act like? Also, I have had water pumps just get old and the water flow would be less at idle and pick up with increased engine speed. I'm sure that's the same for our cars (LT1). Any other signs? I'm just trying to be proactive.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:02 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Most of the time when I've had a water pump go out it was the bearings and the seal. They all stated leaking out of the weep hole just under the bottom of the pump, this on an LT1/LT4 is why they sometimes take out the opti.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:52 PM
chadk
Racer

Originally Posted by We Gone
Most of the time when I've had a water pump go out it was the bearings and the seal. They all stated leaking out of the weep hole just under the bottom of the pump, this on an LT1/LT4 is why they sometimes take out the opti.
Roger that. Totally forgot the most common result, a leaky water pump.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Den14
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chadk
Roger that. Totally forgot the most common result, a leaky water pump.
If you do ever have to replace the water pump, epoxy a plastic vacuum hose elbow in the weep hole and run a little hose from it so if it ever does leak it will be directed away from the Opti. You can do this on your existing one to be even more proactive.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:41 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

I had one bad WP. Caught it when i saw high indicated temp on the dash temp gauge - before the warning light lit. Guess i was lucky and thats all that needed to be replaced. But high water temp is an easy way to blow a head gasket.

I have a 160 degree t-stat now in my LT1 and it runs cold even in the desert summer. Hardly gets above 160* even with the AC on. So if water pump goes out and temps start to climb i will know what to look for the problem.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:47 PM
Den14
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cardo0
I had one bad WP. Caught it when i saw high indicated temp on the dash temp gauge - before the warning light lit. Guess i was lucky and thats all that needed to be replaced. But high water temp is an easy way to blow a head gasket.

I have a 160 degree t-stat now in my LT1 and it runs cold even in the desert summer. Hardly gets above 160* even with the AC on. So if water pump goes out and temps start to climb i will know what to look for the problem.

Hope this helps.
I too traded out the thermostat, for a 180. I also put in a mini-toggle to turn on the secondary fan when I am in gridlock traffic. I stay between 188-196 on the hottest of days. I feel more comfortable knowing that I can control the finer points of the systems. I am not a Thermo-Engineer, but I play one in my Corvette!
Old 09-20-2015, 12:05 AM
1993BlackVette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check around the inspection plate for discoloration from anti freeze, kinda feel around the bottom of it for that nasty greasy feeling too.

I installed an electric waterpump awhile back. I hated the idea of the damn thing leaking on my MSD. It sits at 175 on average now. If it goes over 195 I know somethings wrong. Plus it makes refilling the anti freeze easier. That's probably the easiest way, just watch the temp.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:19 PM
C4DC
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

When mine was going, the power steering would cut out at low speed from the antifreeze dripping from the weep hole on the serpentine belt causing it to slip.
The following users liked this post:
Peace L Mike (12-30-2017)
Old 09-29-2015, 03:35 PM
chadk
Racer

Originally Posted by C4DC
When mine was going, the power steering would cut out at low speed from the antifreeze dripping from the weep hole on the serpentine belt causing it to slip.
Interesting. Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:37 AM
Peace L Mike
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow

That's funny mine is doing the same. I'm trying to see why my car over heating
Old 12-30-2017, 08:09 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

This ^^^

Get notified of new replies

To symptoms of a failing water pump LT1

Quick Reply: symptoms of a failing water pump LT1