C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Trying to level my 92

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 05:15 PM
Txbobcat
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Trying to level my 92

My drivers rear has always sat a little low compared to the other side. My passenger front was lower as well. So I did jack up the drivers rear level with the other side. Question is what do I do to jack up the front Shims on top of spring on the frame or shims under end of leaf spring inside the a arm. I need about 3/4 of an inch more height.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:19 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Txbobcat
My drivers rear has always sat a little low compared to the other side. My passenger front was lower as well. So I did jack up the drivers rear level with the other side. Question is what do I do to jack up the front Shims on top of spring on the frame or shims under end of leaf spring inside the a arm. I need about 3/4 of an inch more height.
If the difference in ride height is measurable from side-to-side or corner-to-corner, it's more than about 1/2 inch, and depending where you are measuring it, (the glued-on fenders are known to have some production variances), I would determine why it's sagging before trying to fix it. Adding shims to leaf springs, or adding bushings, etc. might level your ride height but it's likely to create a handling problem, which is dangerous. If you want to do some very spirited driving, or if an emergency maneuver is ever required, you want the car to handle right.

Diagnose the actual cause of the problem first. It could be a cracked or fatigued leaf spring, a loose or damaged suspension component, a worn shock, a deteriorated or missing bushing... could be lots of stuff.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:18 PM
Txbobcat
Melting Slicks

When I bought this the springs had been removed and coil overs were used. I had a guy put these springs on it and the correct fx3 shocks . Its been leaning some since then. After a drive my height is just off 1/4 inch measuring at the center of the fenders.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:48 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Before you do any work to correct 1/4 inch difference in ride height, have someone measure the difference while you are sitting in the driver's seat.

If it's still off 1/4 inch (at the fender) and it isn't handling weird, I would not worry about it, not worth the bother IMHO. Probably better gains to be made by focusing correction efforts elsewhere... got any nicks in your alloy wheels? Chin spoiler scratched up or bent? Tail lenses or reverse lenses need polishing? Need to install a backup hood release on the latches? Just some ideas.

And, is it a show car? Who's going to know about 1/4 inch, besides you?

Just my $0.02
Old 10-10-2015, 06:31 AM
Txbobcat
Melting Slicks

I meant to say 3/4 inch But sitting in it is a good idea. I will give that a try but my 160 pounds shouldnt make much difference.

Get notified of new replies

To Trying to level my 92

Quick Reply: Trying to level my 92