C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Parking Lamp (tail lamp) Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 09:25 AM
joalyons
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Parking Lamp (tail lamp) Problem

Yesterday went to drive the Vette (1988) pulled my light switch and the parking/fog lamps didn't light. My first thought was the tail lamp fuse so I checked and it was fine, just to be sure I replaced it anyway but they still didn't work. I put my multimeter on it and there is power to both sides so it's not the fuse. Could my light switch be bad or is there another fuse/relay for the circuit?
Old 10-09-2015, 09:47 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by joalyons
Yesterday went to drive the Vette (1988) pulled my light switch and the parking/fog lamps didn't light. My first thought was the tail lamp fuse so I checked and it was fine, just to be sure I replaced it anyway but they still didn't work. I put my multimeter on it and there is power to both sides so it's not the fuse. Could my light switch be bad or is there another fuse/relay for the circuit?
The light switch is NOT fused, it does I believe have an internal circuit breaker. You only mentioned park & fog, you realize FOG is a separate switch?

Do you have headlamps? Your post is a bit confusing as you mention two entirely different functions.

What lamps do you actually have front and rear with the headlamp switch rod pulled to the headlamp function?
Old 10-10-2015, 09:09 AM
joalyons
Racer

Thanks for the reply, I mentioned the fogs just to be clear, guess I wasn't. The only lights that work when I pull the switch are the headlights. Parking lights, tail lamps, side marker and Fog lights do not work. It's as if the Tail lamp fuse is bad but as I stated its not.

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
The light switch is NOT fused, it does I believe have an internal circuit breaker. You only mentioned park & fog, you realize FOG is a separate switch?

Do you have headlamps? Your post is a bit confusing as you mention two entirely different functions.

What lamps do you actually have front and rear with the headlamp switch rod pulled to the headlamp function?
Old 10-10-2015, 09:18 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Thanks for the reply, I mentioned the fogs just to be clear, guess I wasn't. The only lights that work when I pull the switch are the headlights. Parking lights, tail lamps, side marker and Fog lights do not work. It's as if the Tail lamp fuse is bad but as I stated its not.
If when the headlamp switch is ON and the FOG is ON and you have NO FOGS then I believe it might be safe to assume you've a lighting switch problem. The balance of your problems indicate this also I believe. Do you have a FSM so that you can use the wiring schematic to check the power to the switch.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:54 AM
joalyons
Racer

I do have an FSM, so thats on the list of things to do today. Thanks I will post the results.

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
If when the headlamp switch is ON and the FOG is ON and you have NO FOGS then I believe it might be safe to assume you've a lighting switch problem. The balance of your problems indicate this also I believe. Do you have a FSM so that you can use the wiring schematic to check the power to the switch.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:41 PM
joalyons
Racer

Went thru the steps in the FMS, seems to be he HL switch . I wiggled the HL switch and it works now so Im thinking there is some sort of short in the switch, ordered a new one today,

I do have an FSM, so thats on the list of things to do today. Thanks I will post the results.

Get notified of new replies

To Parking Lamp (tail lamp) Problem

Quick Reply: Parking Lamp (tail lamp) Problem