C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Noise! Help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 03:04 PM
frank151
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise! Help?

The other day my serpentine belt broke from me flooring it a street away from work...I put another on, but im not forsure if anything else broke... Car hasn't been riding like it has before the belt broke... Now its coming from this thing... this is the front end on the drivers side... I don't want to drive it until I figure out if this is a big deal or not.

Last edited by frank151; 10-11-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:48 PM
frank151
Advanced

Heres a video

https://*******/aJWo
Old 10-11-2015, 04:15 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

That's the electric AIR pump. It provides air into the exhaust system to reduce emissions when the engine is cold. You could disconnect the wire harness at the relay. That would keep the pump from running although it may set a code. Replacement is pretty straightforward. Depending on the year, figure something over $110 to buy.

It always helps to mention the year of the car, especially if you haven't filled out your profile. Could be that the AIR pump may be slightly different from year to year for LT1 powered cars.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:19 PM
frank151
Advanced

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
That's the electric AIR pump. It provides air into the exhaust system to reduce emissions when the engine is cold. You could disconnect the wire harness at the relay. That would keep the pump from running although it may set a code. Replacement is pretty straightforward. Depending on the year, figure something over $110 to buy.

It always helps to mention the year of the car, especially if you haven't filled out your profile. Could be that the AIR pump may be slightly different from year to year for LT1 powered cars.

Thanks a lot! Sorry about that I have a 93 40th anniversary lt1. Automatic.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:29 PM
frank151
Advanced

Originally Posted by c4cruiser

Will anything break from me driving with the air pump like this?
Old 10-12-2015, 12:16 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by frank151
Will anything break from me driving with the air pump like this?
No. That's one of the reasons so many people take these off. If you don't have to pass a visual smog check then it can be removed without harm.

Get notified of new replies

To Noise! Help?

Quick Reply: Noise! Help?