C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Ok, I'm confused. FX3????

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 11:04 PM
westman
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Ok, I'm confused. FX3????

Here's my situation. I've noticed as of late that my shocks are starting to not feel as responsive. Upon inspection I noticed what looked like black cables coming off the top of the shocks. Checked my RPO codes and I do have FX3 option. Now this is what I find interesting. My car is a plain-jane base model and there are no controls in the cab for ride control. I don't understand. After doing research on here, my initial assumption is that the FX3 was only available on the ZR1 and as such, shouldn't there be some sort of control to adjust the shocks??? Finally, does anyone actual sell the electronic controlled shocks anymore? All the ones that I've found are non-electric.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:06 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

http://www.zip-corvette.com/84-96-c4...in-shocks.html

Shocks and rebuild service too.
The following users liked this post:
westman (10-15-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 08:59 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The Selective Ride Control (FX3) system were available as a stand-alone option on both coupes and convertibles. The FX3 system was also part of the Z07 Performance Handling package. They weren't unique to the ZR1.

The SRC rotary switch would sit on the center console just between the power seat switches.. It could be that a previous owner removed the switch if the system had quit working.

IF the FX3 system is not working, you should see a "Service SRC" warning light on the DIC. If it's not illuminated, it could be that a prior owner removed the bulb to get rid of the message.

Also, in this thread, look at post #7. There is a detailed explanation on how to retrieve the SRC error codes. You will need to go thru this procedure to find out what is wrong.

Last edited by c4cruiser; 10-15-2015 at 09:05 AM.
westman (10-15-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 09:06 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Make sure that the SPID label on the console lid is a match to the car VIN. The VIN will be on the SPID. The controls missing might be more difficult to explain but you should be able to inspect for the harness connector without to much effort.

Replacement shocks? Possible but it would be very wise to confirm all of the actuators etc. are present and works as it should.

Base has little/nothing to do with the options.

You've not mentioned the year and that might be important so you can be helped as to the location of the controls.

WHAT YEAR?
westman (10-15-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 12:54 PM
westman
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Make sure that the SPID label on the console lid is a match to the car VIN. The VIN will be on the SPID. The controls missing might be more difficult to explain but you should be able to inspect for the harness connector without to much effort.

Replacement shocks? Possible but it would be very wise to confirm all of the actuators etc. are present and works as it should.

Base has little/nothing to do with the options.

You've not mentioned the year and that might be important so you can be helped as to the location of the controls.

WHAT YEAR?
Apologies, the year of car is 1994. As far as I can tell the little black actuators are on the shocks, all the wiring seems to be there too. Is there a way to test the light to see if it has been removed?
Old 10-15-2015, 01:06 PM
westman
Instructor

I'm assuming this is what the Selector switch looks like?
Old 10-15-2015, 01:12 PM
westman
Instructor

Seriously, I don't understand why people have to **** with this stuff. Just replace it for god's sake. You want electrical gremlins? cause this is how you get electrical gremlins.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:24 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Originally Posted by westman
And your car doesn't have this selector package. Correct?

You could start by checking for the connector in the console area. Do you have a FSM so that you can see where the balance of the components are located related to the RPO? You certainly need to start with an inventory of components. Lights mean "squat" without the components being present and "connected".
Old 10-15-2015, 01:24 PM
wzschirnt
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Seriously, I don't understand why people have to **** with this stuff. Just replace it for god's sake. You want electrical gremlins? cause this is how you get electrical gremlins.
My 93 has the FX3 option also. Sometime before I bought the car the shocks were replaced by a set of KYB's. I looked into putting the FX3 shocks back on - they are about $300 each! May be a reason why some people **** with this stuff and don't replace.

Good Luck.
walt
Old 10-15-2015, 01:28 PM
westman
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
And your car doesn't have this selector package. Correct?

You could start by checking for the connector in the console area. Do you have a FSM so that you can see where the balance of the components are located related to the RPO? You certainly need to start with an inventory of components. Lights mean "squat" without the components being present and "connected".
Yeah, there is no selector there in the middle.
I'll pull the console apart and see if the wiring for the control is hiding down there somewhere. I do have the FSM for the car.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:29 AM
POLOVETTE 94
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I believe, like most lights, the service ride control light (or lights, I would have to go look) should come on for a few seconds at startup (actually at key on).
Old 10-16-2015, 10:52 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,233 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by wzschirnt
My 93 has the FX3 option also. Sometime before I bought the car the shocks were replaced by a set of KYB's. I looked into putting the FX3 shocks back on - they are about $300 each! May be a reason why some people **** with this stuff and don't replace.

Good Luck.
walt
Actually, a few years I paid close to 700 including shipping for all 4 brand new shocks. You can send them to Bilstein for rebuilding and revalving for less. And yes, the problem with people is they want a Vette but aren't willing to pay the price. IOW, I want it fast, reliable and cheap. Also, fries wouldn't be too bad.
westman (10-16-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 10:54 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Yeah, there is no selector there in the middle.
I'll pull the console apart and see if the wiring for the control is hiding down there somewhere. I do have the FSM for the car.
I had the selector but the cheapskate PO pulled the bulb, the actuators and the shocks and gave me KYB. Fortunately, I got it cheap enough and tossed the motor and trans for what I have.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:55 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Yes it is
Old 10-16-2015, 04:17 PM
westman
Instructor

Well, I did verify that the SPID is the correct one for my car. It definitely came with the FX3 option. The shocks, actuators, wiring, and the "little black box" behind the driver seat is all there. If I get a chance today, I'm going to tear into the center console and look for the wiring.
I agree with aklim, I understand these cars are expensive to work on BUT that's the responsibility that comes with owning one. Good stuff ain't cheap, cheap stuff ain't good. That's why I drive a vette and not a camaro....
Old 10-16-2015, 05:59 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Before we go there, why not take the shocks off and send them to be rebuilt? Not like it couldn't use a rebuild if it is original stock.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:47 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by aklim
Actually, a few years I paid close to 700 including shipping for all 4 brand new shocks. You can send them to Bilstein for rebuilding and revalving for less. And yes, the problem with people is they want a Vette but aren't willing to pay the price. IOW, I want it fast, reliable and cheap. Also, fries wouldn't be too bad.
I recall a thread some months ago (maybe even last year) that Bilstein no longer has the parts to rebuild the rear FX3 shocks. They can still be revalved as long as the shocks are in working order. I do know that Bilsteing doesn't repaint the shocks after working on them. They don't have the decals anymore either.

Get notified of new replies

To Ok, I'm confused. FX3????

Old 10-16-2015, 09:00 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Here is another good site for parts and info. I will admit it can be a bear when not working but well worth keeping.

http://www.captainzcnc.com/
Old 10-16-2015, 11:50 PM
westman
Instructor

My biggest concern is not the shocks; those I'll rebuild or replace. The main issue I'm trying to work out is the missing SRC switch, wiring, and service lamp. If the PO went to the trouble of removing all that, its scary to think what else they've screwed with and how hard/expensive its going to be restoring it.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:01 AM
aklim
Team Owner

My biggest concern is not the shocks; those I'll rebuild or replace. The main issue I'm trying to work out is the missing SRC switch, wiring, and service lamp. If the PO went to the trouble of removing all that, its scary to think what else they've screwed with and how hard/expensive its going to be restoring it.
I don't believe that. I'd remove the actuators and the bulb and maybe the switch. Rip off all the wiring? Why? Even my Bose wiring is intact. If you want to put the speakers and head unit back, you can. An owner that is too lazy and/or cheap to fix the system wouldn't bother to rip out all the wires

Quick Reply: Ok, I'm confused. FX3????