C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

left bank O2 sensor replaced twice in one year LT1

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 07:31 PM
chadk
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default left bank O2 sensor replaced twice in one year LT1

I had to replace the drivers side O2 sensor again today. Last time I did it was in January of this year. Both sensors had a fair a amount of black soot. I replaced the plugs a few weeks ago and they all looked good. Fuel pressure is at 43PSI. What do you think can be the problem?
Old 11-21-2015, 07:37 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

how are your injectors? how long does your fuel pressure hold after shuting down? does your vacumme line on your fpr smell of gas? could your cat be pluged up a bit? do you drive like a old lady?

Last edited by antfarmer2; 11-21-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:28 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Coolant in the exhaust via a head gasket leak will wreak an O2 sensor in short order.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:00 PM
chadk
Racer

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
how are your injectors? how long does your fuel pressure hold after shuting down? does your vacumme line on your fpr smell of gas? could your cat be pluged up a bit? do you drive like a old lady?
These are all good suggestions.
The injectors are probably wore out. The fuel pressure held well for 5 minutes. That's when i disconnect the guage. Should I have held it on longer? The cat is probalbly full of that crap. I'm the 7th owner.
I don't think it's anitfreeze. I Don't add any.
No vac leaks that I can see.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:07 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by chadk
These are all good suggestions.
The injectors are probably wore out. The fuel pressure held well for 5 minutes. That's when i disconnect the guage. Should I have held it on longer? The cat is probalbly full of that crap. I'm the 7th owner.
I don't think it's anitfreeze. I Don't add any.
No vac leaks that I can see.
mine is all factory and will hold all night. replacement pumps not so much. smack good around on your cat and listen for rattles. then have someone start it and see what comes out the back.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:08 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by chadk
I had to replace the drivers side O2 sensor again today. Last time I did it was in January of this year. Both sensors had a fair a amount of black soot. I replaced the plugs a few weeks ago and they all looked good. Fuel pressure is at 43PSI. What do you think can be the problem?
Why? what are the symptoms? Do you use "Any" Silicone adhesives, or Lubricants any where near the intake system? O2 sensors are fairly robust, and don't just go bad...
Old 11-23-2015, 06:31 PM
chadk
Racer

Originally Posted by desertmike1
Why? what are the symptoms? Do you use "Any" Silicone adhesives, or Lubricants any where near the intake system? O2 sensors are fairly robust, and don't just go bad...
Symptom - "Check Engine Soon" light came on when going into closed loop. H44 was the code. Same thing that happened last January. Upon closer inspection of the O2 sensor it was covered in black soot. I replaced sensor and troubles went away. I have read that O2 sensors dont work well in that type of condition.
I do not use any silicone or anything else to that matter. Not even fuel injector cleaner.

I am leaning on vacuum leak or faulty injectors. Probably way to much fuel causing black soot.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:38 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

get a cheap cigar and blow smoke into the hose off your brake booster into the engine and see where it comes out.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:58 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

OK, H44 is an O2 sensor left bank, sensing a lean condition.. too much Oxygen in the Exhaust. The PCM is trying to adjust for this by increasing the fuel..

I just had this problem on an 1998 Malibu, it was a P0171. turned out to be a bad Vacuum Cap on the intake manifold..
Old 11-24-2015, 01:33 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

It could be as simple as a piece of crap Chinese made O2 sensor that just went bad...With most of our parts coming out of China now, I'm seeing more and more parts that are bad right out of the box , or that go bad in a short time ..Now days if something doesn't work when I replace a part, a bad part is the first thing I suspect.....WW.

Last edited by WW7; 11-24-2015 at 01:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To left bank O2 sensor replaced twice in one year LT1

Quick Reply: left bank O2 sensor replaced twice in one year LT1