C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Courtesy lights only work with passenger door

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 08:00 AM
kkesler
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Courtesy lights only work with passenger door

The courtesy lights won't work with either the driver door or the headlight switch. Radio doesn't shut off when the driver door is opened, either. Should I go ahead and replace that door pin or could it be something else since the headlight switch won't turn the courtesy lights on either? Car is a '94

Last edited by kkesler; 12-02-2015 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:11 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by kkesler
The courtesy lights won't work with either the driver door or the headlight switch. Radio doesn't shut off when the driver door is opened, either. Should I go ahead and replace that door pin or could it be something else since the headlight switch won't turn the courtesy lights on either? Car is a '94
Depends which courtesy lights work and when, it seems you have an issue with DAB also that might hint the jamb switch. You could reposition the jamb switch plunger and see what works and if it might improve the operation. If there's no courtesy with the H/L switch activation I believe "which" applies. Is the radio factory?

Courtesy lamps don't share a single fuse. Forgot to mention foot-well isn't generally considered courtesy. If you have an owners manual check the appropriate fuses. If you don't have an owners manual:

https://my.chevrolet.com/home/?evar1...nce_chevy_logo

You can select owners manual from the link without any login or account activation.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-02-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:47 AM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Just as a clarification, by "door pin", if you are referring to the door ajar switch (or DAB as stated by WVZR), then, yes that is more than likely the issue. I had the same issue until I replaced the door ajar switch. In the interim, whenever you open the door, you can grab the end of the switch and wiggle on it until the interior lights come on and the radio goes off. I also removed the switch, drilled a small hole in the bottom and sprayed contact cleaner in. That also seemed to work for a while.

As far as the courtesy lights not coming on with the light switch, that is a puzzle to me. There is a switch labeled "dimmer" that slides around the headlight switch. Sliding this switch up increases the intensity of the instrument panel lights. If you slide it all the way up, the courtesy lights should come on. If that doesn't work, you may have another issue not related to the door ajar switch.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:23 AM
kkesler
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Depends which courtesy lights work and when, it seems you have an issue with DAB also that might hint the jamb switch. You could reposition the jamb switch plunger and see what works and if it might improve the operation. If there's no courtesy with the H/L switch activation I believe "which" applies. Is the radio factory?
The radio is factory bose.

Originally Posted by csthews
As far as the courtesy lights not coming on with the light switch, that is a puzzle to me. There is a switch labeled "dimmer" that slides around the headlight switch. Sliding this switch up increases the intensity of the instrument panel lights. If you slide it all the way up, the courtesy lights should come on. If that doesn't work, you may have another issue not related to the door ajar switch.
Yes, the dimmer switch is the one which doesn't work as expected.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:36 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

The radio is factory bose.

Yes, the dimmer switch is the one which doesn't work as expected.
Does the instrument panel lighting change when you slide the dimmer switch?
Also, when you reach the top of travel, you have to push it up a bit further to get the courtesy light to come on. You should actually feel or even hear a click to turn on the courtesy lights. You may already know this, but I just want to make sure.
Finally, another way to check and see if the door ajar switch is working correctly. If the switch is in the open position and working correctly, you should be able to open the hatch using the switch on the door and vice versa.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:45 PM
kkesler
Instructor

Does the instrument panel lighting change when you slide the dimmer switch?
Also, when you reach the top of travel, you have to push it up a bit further to get the courtesy light to come on. You should actually feel or even hear a click to turn on the courtesy lights. You may already know this, but I just want to make sure.
Finally, another way to check and see if the door ajar switch is working correctly. If the switch is in the open position and working correctly, you should be able to open the hatch using the switch on the door and vice versa.
Yes, instrument lighting changes brightness.

Turn to click, no lights. Checked in my 92 and those work fine using the switch.

Ah ha, I was thinking the hatch open switch was bad since it didn't work. New door ajar switch ordered.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:06 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Yes, instrument lighting changes brightness.

Turn to click, no lights. Checked in my 92 and those work fine using the switch.

Ah ha, I was thinking the hatch open switch was bad since it didn't work. New door ajar switch ordered.
OK. Was going to suggest swapping the passenger switch with the driver's switch just to make sure.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:24 AM
kkesler
Instructor

OK. Was going to suggest swapping the passenger switch with the driver's switch just to make sure.
With 2 C4s around here if I don't need that switch today...

Last edited by kkesler; 12-03-2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:40 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

might just need to play with it if stuck and pull it out and shut the door to ajust. if you replace loosen both screws then take one out then turn the switch put the screw back to hold the backup plate saves pulling the door pad.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:22 AM
kkesler
Instructor

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
might just need to play with it if stuck and pull it out and shut the door to ajust. if you replace loosen both screws then take one out then turn the switch put the screw back to hold the backup plate saves pulling the door pad.
It's very stiff and reluctant to move. Never had good luck trying to repair/service wear items like this, I'll just replace it. Good tip on the backing plate, you just saved me some work.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:27 AM
kkesler
Instructor

Door ajar switch replaced, courtesy lights and hatch switch functioning properly now.

Still no courtesy lights with the dash switch. Any thoughts on that now that the ajar switches are out of the equation?
Old 12-08-2015, 09:40 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Door ajar switch replaced, courtesy lights and hatch switch functioning properly now.

Still no courtesy lights with the dash switch. Any thoughts on that now that the ajar switches are out of the equation?
did you clean the connections on the other door switch? might end up being the switch on the dash. play with it and maybe some air blown in there.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 12-08-2015 at 09:43 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Courtesy lights only work with passenger door

Quick Reply: Courtesy lights only work with passenger door