C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

85 heater cold to warm slider control

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 01:05 PM
C4-85RedZ51
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2015 C4 of Year Finalist
Default 85 heater cold to warm slider control

So I noticed my temp lever does not move fully to the right. Been searching the forum for 85 specifics but didnt really find any that seemed to discuss this issue, No heat since lever does not fully move to the right, gets hard to push so dont want to "snap" anything. Moving to defroster works, air blows onto windshield, just not warm. Moving to vent also re-directs the air properly ... just not warm. AC worked great when it was warm outside. Thoughts?
Old 12-08-2015, 01:11 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

can you get some lube on it and work it?
Old 12-08-2015, 03:48 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by C4-Newbie
So I noticed my temp lever does not move fully to the right. Been searching the forum for 85 specifics but didnt really find any that seemed to discuss this issue, No heat since lever does not fully move to the right, gets hard to push so dont want to "snap" anything. Moving to defroster works, air blows onto windshield, just not warm. Moving to vent also re-directs the air properly ... just not warm. AC worked great when it was warm outside. Thoughts?
Hi

The lever operates a cable to the blend door rod, should be a simple adjustment of the outer cable sheath to clamp. Put it to almost full cold and tighten the retainer, now the blend door should be fully closed at max cold position and move freely to max hot.

It should have a little resistance but not an effort, if it is check the cable is not kinked.

See link below what the cable looks like, have a look under the dash and you should find the cable. Follow it to the heater a/c duct assembly to the blend door rod, the outer sheath has probably slipped limiting the movement.

Note the plastic clip on the bracket to blend door rod could be damaged allowing it to slip, have a good look make sure it is secure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-Corvette-...QAAOSwyTZUWQ7Q

Last edited by gerardvg; 12-08-2015 at 03:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
C4-85RedZ51 (12-09-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 09:46 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi

The lever operates a cable to the blend door rod, should be a simple adjustment of the outer cable sheath to clamp. Put it to almost full cold and tighten the retainer, now the blend door should be fully closed at max cold position and move freely to max hot.

It should have a little resistance but not an effort, if it is check the cable is not kinked.

See link below what the cable looks like, have a look under the dash and you should find the cable. Follow it to the heater a/c duct assembly to the blend door rod, the outer sheath has probably slipped limiting the movement.

Note the plastic clip on the bracket to blend door rod could be damaged allowing it to slip, have a good look make sure it is secure.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:26 PM
C4-85RedZ51
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Newbie lesson learned. Dont use the search forum function from within the forums, use google search. All posts show up in google and vertually all of them are from Corvetteforum. Lots of good info once again.

Some of my favs that I will be trying.

-Get down underneath the passenger side "bread box,"there are 3 small screws to remove the black hush panel.

-The lever operates a cable to the blend door rod, should be asimple adjustment of the outer cable sheath to clamp. Put it to almost fullcold and tighten the retainer, now the blend door should be fully closed at maxcold position and move freely to max hot.
It should have a little resistance but not an effort, if it is check the cableis not kinked.
See link below what the cable looks like, have a look under the dash and youshould find the cable. Follow it to the heater a/c duct assembly to the blenddoor rod, the outer sheath has probably slipped limiting the movement.
Note the plastic clip on the bracket to blend door rod could be damagedallowing it to slip, have a good look make sure it is secure.

-Easy fix...lesson learned - spare yourself the hassle of removingthe centre console cover as the control head does not easily slide out and withall the connections on the backside the risk is there that something will breakor disconnect. Instead, remove the hush panel and up above the mass of wiresgoing to the ECM you'll find where the cable attaches to the heater door lever.Remove the little hat-shaped cerclip and the one screw that holds the cable, thenpull the cable out where you can access it. I lubricated that end of the cablefirst, which helped a little and then I sprayed some WD-40 through the slitwhere the lever goes into the control head and voila...things started slidingnicely. Nothing broken just have to re-assemble but

-Remove the Passenger Side Hush Panel so that you can disconnect the Cable fromthe Linkage on the Heater Box. If the door now moves freely, you need a newcable. It's hooked to the Controls, so you'll need to remove the Display andCenter Trim and then the Control Panel. I doubt the cabe is available, soyou'll have to look for used.

-If you can't move the door (manually) inside the box than it'sprobably rustwelded to it's pivot holes. That can happen when the pee holeplugs up and doesn't allow all the condensate to drain out or in combinationwith a leaking Evaporator that's sprayed a bunch Compressor Oil all overeverything and attracted a bunch of crud. The only way I know to fix it is toremove the Evaporator Case - which if the core is leaking, you'll need to doanyway. That should give enough access to spray some WD40 on the pins to freeit up.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:51 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by C4-Newbie
Newbie lesson learned. Dont use the search forum function from within the forums, use google search. All posts show up in google and vertually all of them are from Corvetteforum. Lots of good info once again.

Some of my favs that I will be trying.

-Get down underneath the passenger side "bread box,"there are 3 small screws to remove the black hush panel.

-The lever operates a cable to the blend door rod, should be asimple adjustment of the outer cable sheath to clamp. Put it to almost fullcold and tighten the retainer, now the blend door should be fully closed at maxcold position and move freely to max hot.
It should have a little resistance but not an effort, if it is check the cableis not kinked.
See link below what the cable looks like, have a look under the dash and youshould find the cable. Follow it to the heater a/c duct assembly to the blenddoor rod, the outer sheath has probably slipped limiting the movement.
Note the plastic clip on the bracket to blend door rod could be damagedallowing it to slip, have a good look make sure it is secure.

-Easy fix...lesson learned - spare yourself the hassle of removingthe centre console cover as the control head does not easily slide out and withall the connections on the backside the risk is there that something will breakor disconnect. Instead, remove the hush panel and up above the mass of wiresgoing to the ECM you'll find where the cable attaches to the heater door lever.Remove the little hat-shaped cerclip and the one screw that holds the cable, thenpull the cable out where you can access it. I lubricated that end of the cablefirst, which helped a little and then I sprayed some WD-40 through the slitwhere the lever goes into the control head and voila...things started slidingnicely. Nothing broken just have to re-assemble but

-Remove the Passenger Side Hush Panel so that you can disconnect the Cable fromthe Linkage on the Heater Box. If the door now moves freely, you need a newcable. It's hooked to the Controls, so you'll need to remove the Display andCenter Trim and then the Control Panel. I doubt the cabe is available, soyou'll have to look for used.

-If you can't move the door (manually) inside the box than it'sprobably rustwelded to it's pivot holes. That can happen when the pee holeplugs up and doesn't allow all the condensate to drain out or in combinationwith a leaking Evaporator that's sprayed a bunch Compressor Oil all overeverything and attracted a bunch of crud. The only way I know to fix it is toremove the Evaporator Case - which if the core is leaking, you'll need to doanyway. That should give enough access to spray some WD40 on the pins to freeit up.
:lurk

Get notified of new replies

To 85 heater cold to warm slider control

Quick Reply: 85 heater cold to warm slider control