C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Code 43 and 64 1992 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 08:59 AM
larry_c4
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Code 43 and 64 1992 Corvette

Hey guys, I have been recently getting codes 43 and 64, which mean knock sensor and oxygen sensor. The 43 seems to be poping up alot more recently. It seems as it comes on at completely random times, at start up, and/or 30 mins into driving. It will also stay on for about 3 minutes to 20 minutes. And of course every time the Service Engine Soon light is on, the fans kick on. I really don't see a difference the way the car drives when the light is on. So where should I start here? I'm thinking the knock sensor.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:25 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

The 43 shouldn't cause the 64. The 64 (lean right o2) could cause a 43. I would look at wiring to be sure harness isn't chaffing or on exhaust. You could reseat connectors and be sure weather seals are in place. Vacuum/exhaust leaks right side of engine. Of course ground wires are always something to check.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:15 AM
larry_c4
Intermediate

The car does have muffler eliminators, but I doubt that would cause anything. I'm thinking that the 64 (o2) is causing the the 43. I checked the wires, everything seemed ok, so I am going to change the o2 sensor.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:28 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

I would go with the o2 (s) they get old and slow and can set off the knocks I would change the knock to for $25 it is cheap and you can do a proper flush. alot of crap hides in there. just pinch the connector to release. proper torque is important.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 01-15-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:47 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
The 43 shouldn't cause the 64. The 64 (lean right o2) could cause a 43. I would look at wiring to be sure harness isn't chaffing or on exhaust. You could reseat connectors and be sure weather seals are in place. Vacuum/exhaust leaks right side of engine. Of course ground wires are always something to check.
This. Also if you know someone with a scanner you can see what the O2 sensor is doing. You can also check your knock sensor by tapping on an exhaust manifold bolt near the sensor and see if the computer pulls timing. You will hear a definite change in idle if it is working correctly.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:21 PM
larry_c4
Intermediate

Well, I haven't had time to fix the vette because it been in winter storage, but over the past few days I have been driving it. I used the paper clip to pull codes via the digital dash and now got 3 codes, H42, H43, H64. I cleared them all out of the ecm via dash. I have been driving it and it seemed to be running good for the first two days. But...today the SES light came on and I immediately checked for codes. Just as I thought, a H64 (Oxygen sensor) and no other codes present. This tells me that the oxygen sensor(s) are Causing the knock sensor code (43). I think by replacing the O2 sensor, the knock codes won't re-appear. Hoping to get these done this weekend.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:37 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
I would go with the o2 (s) they get old and slow and can set off the knocks I would change the knock to for $25 it is cheap and you can do a proper flush. alot of crap hides in there. just pinch the connector to release. proper torque is important.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:09 PM
larry_c4
Intermediate

I changed the O2 sensors myself and it was still doing the same thing. I then noticed at high temps, the car would run really crappy and stall out. Most times it would be hard to start after. I took it to my mechanic and he said that 3 injectors were bad, therefore causing the lean and knock.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:14 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by larry_c4
I changed the O2 sensors myself and it was still doing the same thing. I then noticed at high temps, the car would run really crappy and stall out. Most times it would be hard to start after. I took it to my mechanic and he said that 3 injectors were bad, therefore causing the lean and knock.
Reinforces the fact that "just because" you have an O2 & KNOCK code you don't just throw parts at the car. The parts are sometimes/frequently doing their "designed function".

Have you done the suggested bad injectors yet? Is the car "fixed"?
Old 03-17-2016, 12:19 PM
larry_c4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Reinforces the fact that "just because" you have an O2 & KNOCK code you don't just throw parts at the car. The parts are sometimes/frequently doing their "designed function".

The injectors just came in today, should be installed soon. It will be interesting to see if that solves the problem.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:41 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Codes do not mean **** most of the time.

Working on a P0171 with my class today. That code means Bank 1 System Lean, that could be a TON of stuff. We will find out tomorrow if our suspect low fuel pressure is confirmed. So far we have done nothing but look at scan data and mostly fuel trims at various RPM's.

The OP's code 42 is nothing more than a LEAN code and has NOTHING to do with the 02 unless it is fixed lean. That would pretty easy to see with scan data.

I've actually been doing some research on 02's and I have found STRONG evidence that 02's DO NOT wear out, they become contaminated with coolant, excessive amounts of fuel (misfires, etc...), or silicone from some RTV's, etc.... IF 02's become contaminated you have other issues changing it is only a band aid at best.

I hope your technician is correct on the injectors. Multec's commonly DO short. I replaced all of mine for 2 starting to short out. Proven with scope patterns. Good luck with the fix.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:47 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

o2's do not wear out? You better tell all the manufacturers their maintenance schedule is wrong.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:18 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

o2's do not wear out? You better tell all the manufacturers their maintenance schedule is wrong.
They don't "wear out", but they do get coated with soot, which causes them to not work very well.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:27 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
They don't "wear out", but they do get coated with soot, which causes them to not work very well.
with that but not "a band aid fix" they are maintenance just like oil and air filters.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:50 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 2,023 Posts

with that but not "a band aid fix" they are maintenance just like oil and air filters.
Operation can be confirmed with a "quality scanning device" to remove the just replace if in doubt you mention often. They're mentioned by most manufacturers in a maintenance schedule (not because it's required) but because it might/may create better driveability conditions. Most shops won't just replace but likely "scan and advise" first, even those who have it included in maintenance recommendations.

You often mention the x4 replacement which gets out of hand $$$ quickly.

THEY ARE NOT LIKE OIL AND FILTERS - NO WAY!!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-18-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:57 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Operation can be confirmed with a "quality scanning device" to remove the just replace if in doubt you mention often. They're mentioned by most manufacturers in a maintenance schedule (not because it's required) but because it might/may create better driveability conditions. Most shops won't just replace but likely "scan and advise" first, even those who have it included in maintenance recommendations.

You often mention the x4 replacement which gets out of hand $$$ quickly.

THEY ARE NOT LIKE OIL AND FILTERS - NO WAY!!!
I agree to a point if everyone had a quality scanning device there would be a lot less questions on the forum. But they cost a bit more than a sensor. Some thing that get old and dirty can be cleaned some need to be replaced.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:05 PM
larry_c4
Intermediate

Well, the injectors were installed today and there is no more lean exhaust or knock. But, the mechanic told me the car still keeps stalling and is very hard to restart. Now, he said that there is a pink wire that goes from the ECM to the Opti that is loosing power. I did have Cardone rebuild the ECM about 10 months ago, the ecm has less than 500 miles on it. And I dont think its the opti becaise there are no codes present. Could this be ICM related?

Get notified of new replies

To Code 43 and 64 1992 Corvette

Old 03-18-2016, 03:19 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Hopefully you mechanic has a good scanner and should be able to pick the signal from the opti to ecm. The ECM sends a signal out to ICM. ICM gets signal from ECM on White wire.

This tread maybe helpful https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-pattern.html
Old 03-18-2016, 07:00 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

If your mechanic has a scope that is the MOST accurate way to tell if the Opti-Spark is operating correctly or not.

Show him/her the tread if you have to for GOOD known references.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:04 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

I'd LOVE to see that in PRINT. Manufacture PRINT. GM specifically since this is a Corvette forum.

I've NEVER seen it in print from ANY manufacture as a maintenance item. I did a search on Mitchell ProDemand last night and found nothing.

Quick Reply: Code 43 and 64 1992 Corvette