C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Upgradeable Chip

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 05:42 PM
Doug Crow
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgradeable Chip

How do I know if my C4 PCM can be replaced with a high performance chip?
Old 01-11-2016, 10:06 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Need a bit more info. like year, Unless you do some serious motor upgrades you may not get much out of a performance chip.... If do use one it would be better to have a custom tune.

Last edited by FASTAZU; 01-11-2016 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:40 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Year is going to be most important here. You mention PCM and that usually is interpreted as "PROGRAMANBLE Control Module. There would be no CHIP/PROM but it would require a modified program/tune be done to your PCM.

'94 or newer PCM, '93 and earlier ECM with removable PROM/CHIP
Old 01-12-2016, 02:26 PM
Doug Crow
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Year is going to be most important here. You mention PCM and that usually is interpreted as "PROGRAMANBLE Control Module. There would be no CHIP/PROM but it would require a modified program/tune be done to your PCM.

'94 or newer PCM, '93 and earlier ECM with removable PROM/CHIP
I have a 1994 so I am understanding it doesn't have a removable chip. I was looking at purchasing the TunerCat from http://www.tunercat.com/ What are your thoughts on this tuner? My car is completely stock. Just wondering if getting this tuner would benefit any?
Old 01-12-2016, 05:17 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Crow
I have a 1994 so I am understanding it doesn't have a removable chip. I was looking at purchasing the TunerCat from http://www.tunercat.com/ What are your thoughts on this tuner? My car is completely stock. Just wondering if getting this tuner would benefit any?
You can get more power from this by advancing the timing (not much), but it's not really worth getting involved in tuning unless you have any modifications. Honestly, if you don't know what you are doing in there, you will probably cause more problems for yourself.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:25 PM
Doug Crow
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
You can get more power from this by advancing the timing (not much), but it's not really worth getting involved in tuning unless you have any modifications. Honestly, if you don't know what you are doing in there, you will probably cause more problems for yourself.
I appreciate your honesty. What simple mods would you do? I was thinking of doing a cold air intake but don't know what else I can do myself.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:29 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
You mention PCM and that usually is interpreted as "PROGRAMANBLE Control Module.
I think PCM means Powertrain Control Module. The '94 - '96 PCMs have flash RAM and can be programmed through the ALDL port.

ECM can be either Electronic Control Module or Engine Control Module, depending on who you're arguing with...
Old 01-13-2016, 01:23 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Crow
I appreciate your honesty. What simple mods would you do? I was thinking of doing a cold air intake but don't know what else I can do myself.
Simple mods? I wouldn't waste my money. Anything that you could do for a reasonable price generally wouldn't constitute the need for a tune. Cheapest would maybe be headers? CAI is a waste of money.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:03 PM
Doug Crow
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
Simple mods? I wouldn't waste my money. Anything that you could do for a reasonable price generally wouldn't constitute the need for a tune. Cheapest would maybe be headers? CAI is a waste of money.
What headers would you recommend and what horsepower would be gained? Also are you saying headers and exhaust all the way back?

Get notified of new replies

To Upgradeable Chip

Quick Reply: Upgradeable Chip