C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help cam add carb

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 04:55 AM
drag racer 9
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help cam add carb

I have an 86 Vett with a 350.
I'm thanking about for now adding headers , Putting a bigger cam in. Changing the EFI to crab & manifold, Replacing torque converter to ( Hi Stall speed).
The couple questions I have is will a manifold fit the stock heads?
Also will a Distributer work with the stock block?
I appreciate you guys trying to help me out !
Old 01-21-2016, 09:51 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

It's not a big deal to change to carb. You will need fuel pressure regulator to reduce pressure to 5-7 psi. Intake needs to match year of heads. Chevrolet change center two intake bolt angle in 86/87 time frame. Changing cam should not be an issue just figure on flat tappet (non-roller). You will need a different distributor with mechanical and vacuum advance. I would put all the tpi stuff in a tote and zip tie wiring out of the way don't hack it up in case you change you mind or sell car.
The following users liked this post:
drag racer 9 (01-22-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 02:20 AM
drag racer 9
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kevova
It's not a big deal to change to carb. You will need fuel pressure regulator to reduce pressure to 5-7 psi. Intake needs to match year of heads. Chevrolet change center two intake bolt angle in 86/87 time frame. Changing cam should not be an issue just figure on flat tappet (non-roller). You will need a different distributor with mechanical and vacuum advance. I would put all the tpi stuff in a tote and zip tie wiring out of the way don't hack it up in case you change you mind or sell car.
Thanks Buddy I built motors for my racecar before. But I am not familiar with this block with EFI with the Distributor going thought the block to the cam. I didn't know if the block were the lifter galleys are is block off But thanks for trying to help!!
Old 01-22-2016, 09:17 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

There should be a standard SBC engine with a 1 piece rear seal in this car. All the typical SBC stuff applies. If it has the stock "Iron Heads" I'd lose them for something better.
drag racer 9 (01-25-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 09:21 AM
drag racer 9
Advanced

There should be a standard SBC engine with a 1 piece rear seal in this car. All the typical SBC stuff applies. If it has the stock "Iron Heads" I'd lose them for something better.
I heard the same thing about the heads. Ports and the chambers are small. I have a set of Brodex heads I'll put them on THANKS for the help
Old 01-22-2016, 02:04 PM
L98Justin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

I went carb on mine used a weiand manifold with my 113 heads and a generic vac/mech distibutor... the fuel system is apart right now for my fuel cell that i'll be putting in within a week or so
Old 01-22-2016, 11:29 PM
drag racer 9
Advanced

Originally Posted by L98Justin
I went carb on mine used a weiand manifold with my 113 heads and a generic vac/mech distibutor... the fuel system is apart right now for my fuel cell that i'll be putting in within a week or so
Thanks Justin you said fuel cell where you putting it? Can't you just modify the tank?
Old 01-23-2016, 01:33 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by drag racer 9
Thanks Buddy I built motors for my racecar before. But I am not familiar with this block with the Distributor going thought the block to the cam.
Chevrolet has been building these "small block" engines like this since 1955.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:04 AM
L98Justin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks Justin you said fuel cell where you putting it? Can't you just modify the tank?
I used the stock tank for awhile, with a holley blue pump but i track it and it doesn't have a sump also the pump i use is a better pusher than it is a puller and it's kinda hard too feed the pump from up top. I'm mounting a 10 Gallon fuel cell in the stock location and using most of the stock fuel lines as well
Old 01-23-2016, 04:14 PM
drag racer 9
Advanced

Originally Posted by L98Justin
I used the stock tank for awhile, with a holley blue pump but i track it and it doesn't have a sump also the pump i use is a better pusher than it is a puller and it's kinda hard too feed the pump from up top. I'm mounting a 10 Gallon fuel cell in the stock location and using most of the stock fuel lines as well
Hay Justin With my racecar. I have a 72 Vega with a 427 from running down the track. You need 9 lbs. of fuel pressure going though the traps. Good luck Buddy
Old 01-24-2016, 07:59 PM
frankinvett84
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would suggest a return fuel system. I have never had a fuel overheating problem like some others have had. As far as a manifold is concerned the only thing you need to make sure is to get a manifold for vortec heads if you have them and of not dont. here is a pic of mine i was evev able to use my original air cleaner housing,modified of course

Old 01-24-2016, 10:07 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Frankinvette, that's an interesting conversion! How do you put oil into your engine? Or maybe you've fixed that.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:52 AM
drag racer 9
Advanced

Originally Posted by frankinvett84
I would suggest a return fuel system. I have never had a fuel overheating problem like some others have had. As far as a manifold is concerned the only thing you need to make sure is to get a manifold for vortec heads if you have them and of not dont. here is a pic of mine i was evev able to use my original air cleaner housing,modified of course

Very nice Buddy I like it a lot very clean Good Luck with it!!
Old 01-25-2016, 04:57 AM
drag racer 9
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Frankinvette, that's an interesting conversion! How do you put oil into your engine? Or maybe you've fixed that.

They bin making valve covers to put oil in since 1955
Old 01-25-2016, 03:45 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Oh, so now we're throwing insults?

When I built my engine, I traded sides with my rocker covers to put the oil fill port on the drivers side, to stay away from that fragile high pressure switch on my a/c compressor (which Frankinvette's not using anyway). But to put the oil filler under the air cleaner looks to be a little inconvenient!

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 01-25-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:26 PM
frankinvett84
Racer

Thanks the pics posted are a bit dated.( you can see there is a strap holding up the back of the engine while the trans was being built.) I am VERY happy with build so far.It has a forged bottom end Dart heads and a custom ground Lunati cam. the carb is a RaceDemon with no choke. I though that might be a problem but i ran it the day before the snow here in NJ and just feathered the accelerator for about a minute and away I went. as Im typing I am dropping my dana36 to replace it with a 44 that i found here on the forum it already has 4.11 gears it and matched up to a 3200 converter it should be fun at the green lights. I just hope to show you it only matters what your goals are. You can do just about anything with these cars they are reasonably light, handle GREAT! and with some effort, ingenuity,and this forum. Fast and fun.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:52 PM
project C4
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Hay Justin With my racecar. I have a 72 Vega with a 427 from running down the track. You need 9 lbs. of fuel pressure going though the traps. Good luck Buddy
I have been running a Mallory 140 mounted underneath the stock fuel tank with the in tank fuel pump removed and replaced with a pickup tube. Been working flawlessly for a good while now.
Attached Images  

Last edited by project C4; 01-29-2016 at 09:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help cam add carb

Old 01-29-2016, 09:07 PM
project C4
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Just a fyi... the two center intake bolt angles did not change on corvette motors
Old 01-30-2016, 12:50 AM
drag racer 9
Advanced

Hot rod Roy just havin fun with you that's all
Old 01-30-2016, 09:01 AM
frankinvett84
Racer

Project C4 ,Very nice and clean engine compartment.
I would love to pull the climate control but I still like using 'em, even if its not very often. I hope to have my a/c hooked back up by spring.Is your a track car b/c i see the wipers r also gone.Once again very clean look.

Quick Reply: Help cam add carb