C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Just installed tranny cooler, question about return line...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 03:01 AM
LCPLPunk
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Just installed tranny cooler, question about return line...

Hey guys,

So I just put a tranny cooler on my 1996 and I ran into some issues with my return line replacement hose. I had two sets of transmission hose because I had a spare I bought some years back, and I noticed that one hose was 3/8", and the other was 11/32".

On the lower radiator tranny port I had a fitting that I was able to plug in and securely get a hose on, however on the return line that I cut I noticed that the 3/8" inch hose seemed way too loose and oversized for the return line. I thankfully had some 11/32" hose left and while it did fit better on the return line it still didn't seem to snug.

Now, I had a rough time getting the 11/32" line onto the tranny cooler, so I don't know if I could go any smaller with that hose.

I put some black, high-temp gasket maker on the return line (but did not place it anywhere where it would interfere with fluid going through) and then placed the hose over/onto it, then used three clamps to tighten it on the return line. I'm letting it sit for 24 hours so the gasket maker gets strong, but I'm still a little nervous this won't be a good seal. If the fluid gets sucked back through the return line then I think I shouldn't have any issues, but if gets pushed then I'm a little worried.

So, does the transmission fluid get sucked through the return line at all, or is it pushed all the way through?
Old 02-07-2016, 09:12 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

I would stay with steal and flared.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:58 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Fluid is pushed or pumped from transmission through cooler then back into transmission for the apply circuits. I'm not sure why you have 2 different hose sizes. Most of the coolers I have seen were 3/8 in and out. Myself I wouldn't use RTV on hoses that carry oil, to me that's asking for trouble.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:40 AM
LCPLPunk
Instructor

Ya, I thought the hose size being different was a bit weird myself. I definitely felt the 3/8" was too big, and the 11/32 felt a bit too big as well, but not as much. :P
Old 02-09-2016, 10:51 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

So, does the transmission fluid get sucked through the return line at all, or is it pushed all the way through?
Kevova is right, the cooler is under pressure on the return side and it's important for it to be this way. It does lube duty. The cooler pressure can be quite high in reverse.

I agree with antfarmer that I wouldn't use silicone there, mainly because it will wash loose and can cause problems. I flared mine and used double clamps, but it would probably be best to use a female hose barb screwed onto the double flare fitting.

It's one of those things that PROBABLY won't be a big deal, (I've seen some truly terrible cooler setups that worked fine for years.) but if something goes wrong it will pump three gallons of ATF out of your trans pretty quick at pressure and is potentially a fire hazard.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:09 PM
LCPLPunk
Instructor

I wanted to flare it, but I'm lazy and felt like getting it done that day. Most of my adventures with this car don't turn out well, so I've learned to make it work the best I can. :P

Anyways, I used this gasket maker: http://www.permatex.com/products-2/p...t-maker-detail

I have the three clamps at various places on the line, so I think that any extra gasket material that broke off would get stuck past the clamps and not make it anywhere near where the fluid is.

Get notified of new replies

To Just installed tranny cooler, question about return line...

Quick Reply: Just installed tranny cooler, question about return line...