C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT4 cylinder head removal question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 06:52 PM
LinkandCuff
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT4 cylinder head removal question

I was changing the plugs on my car and i managed to cross thread #8 cylinder.

Can i just unbolt the exhaust manifold and be able to pull the passenger head off? (once the intake is off)
Old 03-27-2016, 06:53 PM
LinkandCuff
Intermediate

I'm only pulling the head to fix the threads with a helicoil kit
Old 03-28-2016, 02:01 AM
LouisvilleLT4
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If I remember right there were a whole lot more steps. You need to get the car's gigantic official Helm's manual (not to be confused with the inferior unofficial Haynes and Hilton type manuals) to obtain the steps the factory uses for repairs. Ordering your FSM (Helm's manual) is like a rite of passage here.

When you put the head back on be sure to use a beam-type torque wrench, because my click-type one gave wrong results and rounded a lot of bolts.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:30 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

as above. Not impossible. thankfully the PS manifold is the easiest. Drop the air tube / manifold. pull the oil dipstick, mark and unplug connectors. fuel lines, throttle cable all related to the intake, PS reservoir, Coil & ICM / bracket. EGR and Air tube Ground, AUTO = filler tube? coolant line. back side of PS head. Valve cover. depending on mileage. I would recommend. pulling both heads. much more work. Alternator, AC out of the way. ASR. all related brackets, AIR tube, more grounds & coolant line on the back side of the DS head. New MLS gaskets. and ARP 12point bolts. the 6 point does have limited access on the rear bolts. I have had great results with a craftsman digi torque. Also I picked up a eastwood digital torque adapter. met up with MAC & Snap-on truck. challenged them both. the eastwood Digi torque. was more consistent with the readings on multi pulls. the click reading was inconsistent. but WELL within specs.

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 03-28-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:09 PM
LinkandCuff
Intermediate

The car has 65k. I plan on doing a head/cam swap maybe next year. My time is limited due to a car trip coming up so I'll just pull the passenger head.

I understand what needs to come off already but my question is specific to if I can just unbolt the manifold and not take it out to pull the head. The bolts look pretty rusty and may be problematic.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:03 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

yes, you can easily Un-bolt the PS exhaust Manifold. and pull the PS head. I'm sure you are concerned with the collector tri-bolts. Almost guaranteed to break!
Old 03-28-2016, 03:31 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

It is possible to repair spark plug hole without pulling head. I would take a look at that possibility with exhaust manifold removed. Then remove head if its something you don't want to attempt. There are tools designed specifically for head on thread repair. If you have any doubts about exhaust manifold studs replace them while its off.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:40 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Bump.
LinkandCuff, were you able to remove the head with just disconnecting the exhaust manifold from the head? I have a minor head gasket leak that I was living with, but a bad lifter has forced my hand into going into the intake now anyway...
Old 05-31-2016, 09:15 PM
LinkandCuff
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RUU
Bump.
LinkandCuff, were you able to remove the head with just disconnecting the exhaust manifold from the head? I have a minor head gasket leak that I was living with, but a bad lifter has forced my hand into going into the intake now anyway...
I had to remove the manifold. Even if its possible to remove the head with the manifold you would still want to remove the manifold.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:40 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
It is possible to repair spark plug hole without pulling head. I would take a look at that possibility with exhaust manifold removed.
This is what would be happening if it were my car or if the car were in my shop.

Get notified of new replies

To LT4 cylinder head removal question

Quick Reply: LT4 cylinder head removal question