C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What C4 MYs most likely to pass CA smog?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 01:17 AM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 81 Posts
Default What C4 MYs most likely to pass CA smog?

I saw another related thread but that person was trying to get help on a failed smog test. I haven't tested nothin

What MY years (all stock cars) do you guys think are most likely to pass the smog test in this crazy state of CA? Or does it come down to a car-by-car basis?

I read that 94 and up have an upgraded fuel injection system. Did some more reading and supposedly that should improve emissions, just don't know if it makes a difference for CA emission standards.

I'm strongly considering getting a C4 shipped to CA so I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:41 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by jay23ls
What MY years (all stock cars) do you guys think are most likely to pass the smog test in this crazy state of CA?
Any STOCK Corvette should have no trouble passing CA smog test if it's in half way decent shape! My '84 passes with flying colors, and it's been mildly modified!! My CFI system has never been adjusted from the factory settings, with about 240,000 miles on it!

Old 04-08-2016, 02:51 AM
odxr
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I used to have a Ca smog license so I know what takes to pass.Its not so much about a certain year car-its about how close the car is operating compared to when the car was new.A low mile well tuned 1985 car would be better than a high mile 1996 car with a weak cat.Unless its a special car you are looking to buy you would probably be better off buying a Cali car thats allready in the system.The latest BS is the special california approved cat convertors that cost 3x more that 49 state convertors.
The following users liked this post:
jay23ls (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 03:54 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If the seller is willing or if you can reimburse ask him if hes willing to have the #s checked like a pretest.
Compare to Ca std then make a choice
Was reading Ca lowered the Nox stds by 200 pts.

I will not buy any car unless the seller has a legit smog period
If it has to be faked do not want
Its the law being their responsibility anyway no matter what bill of sale says. gov wants us all driving new cars to pay for the bailout

If all the smog stuf is there and it runs mint it should pass.

The latest BS is the special california approved cat convertors that cost 3x more that 49 state convertors.
Correct. $1500 for my truck...plus labor
Lousy Y pipe with 2 cats.

Last edited by cv67; 04-08-2016 at 03:58 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:39 AM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by odxr
I used to have a Ca smog license so I know what takes to pass.Its not so much about a certain year car-its about how close the car is operating compared to when the car was new.A low mile well tuned 1985 car would be better than a high mile 1996 car with a weak cat.Unless its a special car you are looking to buy you would probably be better off buying a Cali car thats allready in the system.The latest BS is the special california approved cat convertors that cost 3x more that 49 state convertors.
Thanks. What would be the advantage of getting a C4 already in the CA smog system? Just cuz it had to have passed recently right? Or are you talking about paperwork/registration-related benefits?

And would they force me to get a new converter if the car fails smog or it is just a recommendation to try to pass? I'm new to the smog stuff, haven't driven older cars before. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:42 AM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette

If the seller is willing or if you can reimburse ask him if hes willing to have the #s checked like a pretest.
Compare to Ca std then make a choice
Was reading Ca lowered the Nox stds by 200 pts.

I will not buy any car unless the seller has a legit smog period
If it has to be faked do not want
Its the law being their responsibility anyway no matter what bill of sale says. gov wants us all driving new cars to pay for the bailout

If all the smog stuf is there and it runs mint it should pass.

Correct. $1500 for my truck...plus labor
Lousy Y pipe with 2 cats.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking about. Asking them to do a pre-test and I'd comp them. Im seeing some solid deals on pretty low mile C4 but all outside of CA
Old 04-08-2016, 09:17 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

It might be a good idea to have a seller provide you with a smog test report but that report should have to show the test meeting the CA values for the specific year of car. Doesn't really help if the car passes a smog test in some other state but doesn't pass in CA.

Buying a C4 that is already registered in CA and has a current smog test that shows it passed would be the best way to get a car. Does CA still do a visual inspection? Some mods may not cause an emissions issue but if the correct emissions parts aren't in place, isn't that a "fail"? For example, can you have headers that are connected to a working AIR system with the assumption that OEM or CA-approved cats are in place?
Old 04-08-2016, 10:36 AM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

If your buying the car in California, the SELLER is responsible for the car passing SMOG at the time it is sold.

If your bringing in a car form out of state, they you are responsible. Be aware that modifications to the car my not pass VISUAL inspection even if the car passes the sniffer. They can FLUNK you on the visual! For example, a friend had a 89 that passed the sniffer, but on the visual inspection it was noted that the fuel pressure regulator was adjustable. It was denied a SMOG certificate because it had the adjustable screw on the FPR. Stock FPR does not have this screw. I had an extra top section that I sent him. It then passed visual.

CRAZY STATE!!!!!
Old 04-08-2016, 04:43 PM
odxr
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If the inspector sees any aftermarket parts each part has to have a california air resources board executive order sticker.Another problem is the evap emission leak test.Even if the car runs perfect and is all stock you might end up chasing a leak in the evap system.The inspector will not tell you how to fix your car-that is illegal.You take the inspection sheet and work from there.Repair shop rates in Cali run $75-$125/hr.It is not illegal to fix your own car-you just have to make it pass.Some of the inspection shops charge more but will give a free retest-its worth it.I am driving a free beater car right now-it passed on readings but took 3 tries to get the leaks in the evap system fixed.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:49 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Man, this is why I've always loved the forums. Members are unbelievably helpful. I appreciate the advice and info guys. I'm going to ask out of state sellers for the last smog paperwork going fwd

Get notified of new replies

To What C4 MYs most likely to pass CA smog?

Quick Reply: What C4 MYs most likely to pass CA smog?