C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

May need to Nomex-up for this post, but...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 07:52 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 801 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by Lindy65
Also a long-time Porsche guy, and have "back-dated" a number of cars to reduce weight/complexity, etc.

Considering building a (different) LT1 car into a very simple, lightened street car with no radio, AC/PS, etc. Am used to driving some pretty gnarly cars so the lack of civility is not an issue.

Thinking of going with a carbureted rebuild of the LT, and wondering what can be done to convert from the Opti to dizzy (or other system).

Any ideas/experience with this?
GM made a carb intake manifold for the LT1 - it also had a distributor hole in the back. I've seen a couple of C4's with Gen I SBC's at the track - you want to run a distributor with a small cap (not the standard GM HEI cap), but they work just fine, and if you spend a little bit of time tuning the carb - the car will not only haul - but will also drive with very reasonable manners on the street.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:42 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are getting rid of PS, AC, FI, etc. I think you would be crazy not to go to an "LS" engine. The aftermarket world supports them and they are very easy to work on, not to mention they generally make more power under the curve with smaller cams.
P.S. I believe they are a bit lighter also. I have an LT1 in my 91 with a conventional distributor and if I didn't have so much money into it, I would throw an LS into it. There is a reason thousands of people are swapping in LS engines into every make and model of automobile.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:14 AM
Lindy65
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ANTI VENOM
If you are getting rid of PS, AC, FI, etc. I think you would be crazy not to go to an "LS" engine. The aftermarket world supports them and they are very easy to work on, not to mention they generally make more power under the curve with smaller cams.
P.S. I believe they are a bit lighter also. I have an LT1 in my 91 with a conventional distributor and if I didn't have so much money into it, I would throw an LS into it. There is a reason thousands of people are swapping in LS engines into every make and model of automobile.
The LT is a great engine, but I'm finding myself
Old 04-23-2016, 12:58 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 225 Posts

Im with Aardwolf, keep the injection and go fabricated alloy,

although a strong carby engine with a 106 lsa cam will be a tough sounding combo !
Old 04-23-2016, 02:50 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

That manifold looks pretty and I'm sure it could perform if it was on top of something worthy, but I believe it is over 3 grand by itself. Could get into an LS with a cam, intake and carb for less than that. Just my .02
Old 04-23-2016, 02:51 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Lindy65
The LT is a great engine, but I'm finding myself
The LT and SBC's are great engines, but I hope you meant LS.

Last edited by ANTI VENOM; 04-23-2016 at 02:55 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:04 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 225 Posts

That manifold looks pretty and I'm sure it could perform if it was on top of something worthy, but I believe it is over 3 grand by itself. Could get into an LS with a cam, intake and carb for less than that. Just my .02
its just a bit of engine "eye candy"

how about this carby version then,

Old 04-23-2016, 08:04 AM
Lindy65
Advanced

Originally Posted by blackozvet
its just a bit of engine "eye candy"

how about this carby version then,

Meant to say that they LT is a great engine, however I keep looking at my spare LS blocks and thinking how nice it would be to save the weight, as well as to be able to take advantage of the huge aftermarket for those engines (with this car). Every year that I go to SEMA (vendor), am amazed at the aftermarket for these.

The biggest deterrent is just getting an LS into the LT1 chassis and adapted to the ZF...
Old 04-23-2016, 10:06 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Holley and GMPP make different pans, brackets mts etc to make the swap painless as possible ck into it. The LSx are hard to break the block architecture, large cam core etc really help it be stable at higher rpm.

Heck yeah those are sweet....GM LTx will get the job done in most cases and have lots room for improvement if you are good with a die grinder
If you got some extra laying around looking for a good 5.3 or 6.0 24x buider for my 02 truck I can piece together if price is right. People out here still think they are goldplated
Old 04-24-2016, 01:29 PM
Lindy65
Advanced

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Holley and GMPP make different pans, brackets mts etc to make the swap painless as possible ck into it. The LSx are hard to break the block architecture, large cam core etc really help it be stable at higher rpm.

Heck yeah those are sweet....GM LTx will get the job done in most cases and have lots room for improvement if you are good with a die grinder
If you got some extra laying around looking for a good 5.3 or 6.0 24x buider for my 02 truck I can piece together if price is right. People out here still think they are goldplated
Mine are 5.7's, but if you haven't already you may want to try the "Search all Craigslist" URL's as they seem to pop up pretty frequently.

Still wondering why it seems that no one has developed even a basic kit for an LT to LS engine swap with:

Motor mounts
Headers
Clutch
ZF adapter
Senders for stock gauges

Am in the manufacturing world and no-doubt am missing something, but this doesn't seem like rocket surgery...
Old 05-02-2016, 02:32 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Maybe these will interest you...
http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2010...-c4-corvettes/
http://petrisenterprises.com/#
Old 05-02-2016, 08:40 AM
Lindy65
Advanced

Thanks. Just to confirm, is there some kind of basic LT to LS (to ZF) kit already "out there" that I may have missed...?
Old 05-02-2016, 01:19 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

Some change over parts links:

http://www.vettaid.com/

http://www.kwikperf.com/index.html

ls swap guide
http://www.cartechbooks.com/how-to-s...m_campaign=diy

bell housing
http://www.jegs.com/i/Quick+Time+Bel...FdM2gQodNdwLQQ

Quick Reply: May need to Nomex-up for this post, but...