C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Please help: 1992 LT1 Won't Start, heavy fuel smell

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 10:03 AM
darkprophet597
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Please help: 1992 LT1 Won't Start, heavy fuel smell

Alright folks, I need some serious advise. A couple months ago, I was driving my '92 LT1 (150k) when it stalled out at about 40 mph. I was able to restart it with a serious loss in power and I limped it home. It had a strong a fuel smell and was smoking out the left exhaust pipe. I did some research and thought the opti might have gone out, causing one or two of the cylinders to miss so I changed the opti, spark plugs, and plug wires while I was at it. The opti was in rough shape and so were the plug wires. I got everything changed out, went to start it up, and it's not pretty.....I have to crank it forever to get it to start and then it runs really rough and there's fuel seeping out through the exhaust manifold creating a puddle under the car. There was even some fuel coming out of the left exhaust pipe. I triple checked that the wiring to the opti was correct and checked to make sure each individual wire was sparking with an extra spark plug. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:08 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Pull the vacuum line off the fpr and smell for fuel. Or could be leaky stuck injectors. Save your old opti!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by antfarmer2; 05-15-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:23 AM
darkprophet597
Intermediate

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Pull the vacuum line off the fpr and smell for fuel. Or could be leaky stuck injectors. Save your old opti!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I still have the old opti but I noticed the connector that the wiring harness plugged into at the top was practically broken in half. I pulled the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator and there was fuel in the line.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:34 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by darkprophet597
I still have the old opti but I noticed the connector that the wiring harness plugged into at the top was practically broken in half. I pulled the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator and there was fuel in the line.

There you go change it and the oil before starting or you will have a grenade. might take a bit to clear the fuel out of the canister. It is the sensor in the opti that folks need if you don't want to mess with it I bet you will get some PM's wanting it.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 05-15-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:37 AM
darkprophet597
Intermediate

There you go change it and the oil before starting or you will have a grenade.
Well, I feel like a dummy but I learned a lot about the car needlessly changing parts! I'll post an update once I get this done. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:42 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Well, I feel like a dummy but I learned a lot about the car needlessly changing parts! I'll post an update once I get this done. Thanks for the help.
Anytime there is a button for this at the bottom right.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 05-15-2016 at 10:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
darkprophet597 (05-15-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 01:26 PM
darkprophet597
Intermediate

Well, I changed the FPR and it's still dumping fuel out the exhaust and smoking. Any ideas?
Old 05-15-2016, 01:38 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

there's no such thing as needlessly changing parts on a 24 year old car; change out as much as you can while parts are still available.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:27 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Well, I changed the FPR and it's still dumping fuel out the exhaust and smoking. Any ideas?
It could be the injectors sticking too. Did you let it run for a while the canister and the vacuum system could be full of fuel.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:31 PM
darkprophet597
Intermediate

It could be the injectors sticking too. Did you let it run for a while the canister and the vacuum system could be full of fuel.
It took a good 20 seconds of cranking before it started firing at all and there was a steady stream of fuel coming out the left exhaust pipe.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:33 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

A fuel pressure tester and some pinch off pliers could narrow this down to the injectors. Those are not a ton of money to buy or borrow.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:03 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Are you sure its fuel dripping out the exhaust ?? How do you know its not something else like say condensation or coolant ?? What color is the smoke ??

If you replaced the regulator because it was leaking raw fuel into the vacuum line then I can pretty much guarantee its going to run poorly for several minutes after you finally get it restarted.

If in fact you have raw fuel dribbling out of the exhaust then there's really only one thing that will do that, and that would be a failed injector.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:53 AM
darkprophet597
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Amotoxracer
Are you sure its fuel dripping out the exhaust ?? How do you know its not something else like say condensation or coolant ?? What color is the smoke ??

If you replaced the regulator because it was leaking raw fuel into the vacuum line then I can pretty much guarantee its going to run poorly for several minutes after you finally get it restarted.

If in fact you have raw fuel dribbling out of the exhaust then there's really only one thing that will do that, and that would be a failed injector.
It's definitely fuel, and a lot of it. My garage reeks of it now. Could it be left over from however much was dumped into the vacuum lines before I changed the FPR? It made a pretty sizable puddle coming out of the left exhaust and from dripping down from where the headers come together and connect to the rest of the exhaust. Are you saying it may be an injector (or injectors) that are stuck open?
Old 05-16-2016, 06:59 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

It's definitely fuel, and a lot of it. My garage reeks of it now. Could it be left over from however much was dumped into the vacuum lines before I changed the FPR? It made a pretty sizable puddle coming out of the left exhaust and from dripping down from where the headers come together and connect to the rest of the exhaust. Are you saying it may be an injector (or injectors) that are stuck open?
Yep ... that's exactly what I'm saying. You can confirm my suspicions by attaching a fuel gage and priming the pump (turn the key forward) and then just observe how long it takes for it to bleed down to zero. In your case I'm guessing less than 10 seconds.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:02 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Yep ... that's exactly what I'm saying. You can confirm my suspicions by attaching a fuel gage and priming the pump (turn the key forward) and then just observe how long it takes for it to bleed down to zero. In your case I'm guessing less than 10 seconds.
how long did you run it to clear it out? Have a fire extinguishers handy.

If you need new injectors call Jon at FIC before his shows up.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 05-16-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:49 AM
darkprophet597
Intermediate

OK. I'll have to get ahold of a fuel gage and check that out. Optimally, it should retain pressure and not bleed down at all, correct?
Old 05-16-2016, 09:51 AM
darkprophet597
Intermediate

how long did you run it to clear it out? Have a fire extinguishers handy.

If you need new injectors call Jon at FIC before his shows up.
Well, I cranked it as long as I dared to considering how much fuel was ending up on the ground. I was just going through some other threads that mentioned FIC. I'll have to give him a call.

Get notified of new replies

To Please help: 1992 LT1 Won't Start, heavy fuel smell

Old 05-16-2016, 09:53 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

OK. I'll have to get ahold of a fuel gage and check that out. Optimally, it should retain pressure and not bleed down at all, correct?
My all stock 94 will hold all nite. Are you sure it is not leaking from the fuel line on top of the tank and flowing down.

Maybe pull the pump fuse and see if you can dry it out.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 05-16-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:21 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
coolant temp sensor, maybe 02 sensor or connections

no codes ?
my 93 (also a speed density car) had this same issue with stAll out and plugs fouled ...would not restart

it ended up being a bad o2 sensor (likely contaminated by non sensor-safe sealant from a recent hotcam/valve springs swap).
Old 05-19-2016, 12:33 PM
darkprophet597
Intermediate

My all stock 94 will hold all nite. Are you sure it is not leaking from the fuel line on top of the tank and flowing down.

Maybe pull the pump fuse and see if you can dry it out.
I just tested the injectors by running 12 volts to each one and listening for the click. The #5 injector was the only one that didn't click so I'm thinking it's going to be the culprit. Just ordered a rebuilt set from FIC.

Quick Reply: Please help: 1992 LT1 Won't Start, heavy fuel smell