C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Leaking brake master cylinder

Old 05-17-2016, 01:32 PM
DarkObsession
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Leaking brake master cylinder

So the other day I did my brakes (hoses, pads, rotors, and full system flush) and now the brake master cylinder / booster area is leaking!

When I flushed the system and replaced the fluid I replaced it with this DOT 3 & 4 fluid from Valvoline. http://www.autozone.com/brake-and-po...?checkfit=true

I didn't do anything to the master cylinder / booster area except open the caps and fill the reservoirs. Now I've got a leak between the master and booster. The leak is on the rear brake part of the system because that reservoir was about half full when I got home last night. I found drips on the bottom of the booster and traced them back up to the joint between the two parts.

So, did I do something wrong? We bled the system with the 2 person method and vacuum methods and got all the air out. Could pushing the pedal so many times during the bleeding process have done something? Is it possible that the new 3 & 4 fluid is thinner than the brake fluid that was in there and that's what's causing the leak?

The other question is can the problem be fixed without having to buy a new master cylinder, booster, or both? Is there a gasket or something between the two that has gone bad? I'm not sure what's in there so I'm not sure what can/should be replaced. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by DarkObsession; 05-17-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:43 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Sometimes it is it's time to go and maybe why you had so much trouble bleeding it. I would change both.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:52 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkObsession
So the other day I did my brakes (hoses, pads, rotors, and full system flush) and now the brake master cylinder / booster area is leaking!

When I flushed the system and replaced the fluid I replaced it with this DOT 3 & 4 fluid from Valvoline. http://www.autozone.com/brake-and-po...?checkfit=true

I didn't do anything to the master cylinder / booster area except open the caps and fill the reservoirs. Now I've got a leak between the master and booster. The leak is on the rear brake part of the system because that reservoir was about half full when I got home last night. I found drips on the bottom of the booster and traced them back up to the joint between the two parts.

So, did I do something wrong? We bled the system with the 2 person method and vacuum methods and got all the air out. Could pushing the pedal so many times during the bleeding process have done something? Is it possible that the new 3 & 4 fluid is thinner than the brake fluid that was in there and that's what's causing the leak?

The other question is can the problem be fixed without having to buy a new master cylinder, booster, or both? Is there a gasket or something between the two that has gone bad? I'm not sure what's in there so I'm not sure what can/should be replaced. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I think that what ends up happening in situations like yours is that any foreign material at all that may have been in the reservoir was cycled through the master cylinder. Unfortunately even very small amounts of debris can cause the seals to begin leaking. I run into this from time to time but usually only when using a pressure bleeder ...

Your going to have to replace the master cylinder. Its possible that someone offers a rebuild kit but I expect that's going to be much more hassle than its worth. The booster should be fine; I would at least try it.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 05-17-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:29 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Hi Darkob,

In my case, on my 85, i thought i had the same situation. and it had been happening for years before i owned the car because the paint on the frame beneath the assembly is all gone.

in my case, it was actually BOTH orings on the master cylinder reservoir. the 85 has two reservoirs, both were leaking.

get a flashlight, and get in there close and inspect the rubber rings at the base of the reservoirs. they might be seeping. if that is the case, they are cheap, 7$ each, i bought them off zips.

getting them back on was really hard, until i opened my shop manual and discovered the trick was to use a dollar store metal turkey baster hacksawed off at the end. thread is here if you need it. cheers and hope you get it fixed. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...reservoir.html

Old 05-17-2016, 11:47 PM
DarkObsession
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the replies. After looking at the system again I'm pretty sure the failed part is at the rear of the master cylinder. I looked and felt around on that part and didn't see/feel any fluid. Seems like it's leaking from the connection to the booster so my guess is that it's the master cylinder's rear seal. I ordered the part tonight so hopefully it'll be here soon. I'll report back when I know more.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:52 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Try to replace cap gasket
Old 05-19-2016, 04:54 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm sorry didn't readed well... Booster area no reservoir area

Last edited by Christi@n; 05-19-2016 at 04:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking brake master cylinder

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking brake master cylinder