C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

vehicle speed sensor drive gear clip position

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 02:50 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Default vehicle speed sensor drive gear clip position

hi guys.

on the 700r4 output shaft, which hole does the vehicle speed sensor retaining clip go into? the front or back? meaning the one on the front side of the car or the one on thw back side of the car.

i read somewhere its the front. then i read that the bette is the back one.

also, the little tab that drops into the hole is mostly broke off. i *think* it will hold. its a ling weekend up here ao all stores are closed. ill probably mount the trans onto the block and just replace the clip on Tuesday after paying $100 for the clip from a lical canadian supplier, or is the presence of the clip enogh or does it have to have the little foot down jnto the whole??
Old 05-23-2016, 02:52 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default gotta be some trans experts out there

bump. any trans rebuilders know which hole the retaining clip is supposed to be in in order to hold the speedo drive gear in the correct position to align with the speedo driven gear??

here is an 88 shop manual and there are no instructions on which hole to use. (fore or aft).

<br > <br >
Old 05-23-2016, 03:29 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

i found two threads saying that for the corvette only, the clip goes in the rearward hole. every other application is forward. this is the first hole as you slide on from the rear.

if anybody thinks otherwise please mention it. VT.

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
bump. any trans rebuilders know which hole the retaining clip is supposed to be in in order to hold the speedo drive gear in the correct position to align with the speedo driven gear??

here is an 88 shop manual and there are no instructions on which hole to use. (fore or aft).

<br > <br >
Old 05-23-2016, 04:50 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

rear hole is for corvette only it is in 93 FSM but it wasn't easy to find. I think it was in unit repair section vs on car service.

Last edited by Kevova; 05-23-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:57 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
rear hole is for corvette only it is in 93 FSM but it wasn't easy to find. I think it was in unit repair section vs on car service.

Rear is correct and it's in all/most FSM with an image in most pointing it out!

Name:  SPEED DRIVE 4L60.png
Views: 932
Size:  14.5 KB

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-24-2016 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:38 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

thank you sir! i scoured the manuals i have and didn't see that!

Originally Posted by WVZR-1

Rear is correct and it's in all/most FSM with an image in most pointing it out!

Attachment 47984617
Old 05-24-2016, 05:01 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
thank you sir! i scoured the manuals i have and didn't see that!

question:

so i have the 86 trans bolted on and connected.the tc turns nice and easy, i got it double clunked onto the input shaft. all is good. the red vette is happy that it has an actual corvette tranny back in it.

however, i still do not know for sure if this trans is any good. they did not give me a vin number and i was not able to verify their claim of only 26k miles. the fluid was dark cherry but did not smell burnt and there is no metal so im ppprrroooobbbaaaabbblllyyy ok.

but, can i leave the cbeam and the driveshaft off the back of the trans if i have it all blocked up and supported, start it, run it, and simply go through the gears to make sure there are no crazy noises???

then if all goes well i can install the cbeam and drive shaft?

i wouldn't step on the gas, just shift it through the gears listening for noises.

worth it?
Old 05-24-2016, 05:24 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

The drive shaft yoke supports transmission output shaft, I'm not sure about spinning it up with nothing there. You could install drive shaft and move c beam away towards tunnel. remember to turn engine off before putting it in park...there is nothing to stop output shaft from spinning it drive shaft is not installed

Last edited by Kevova; 05-24-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:28 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Install the C-beam and the drive-shaft. Just leave the exhaust off of the car. Install it as if you intended this to be a done deal!! Have you used a new fill tube seal and also a new TV cable seal? If you ain't you need to.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-24-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:12 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Install the C-beam and the drive-shaft. Just leave the exhaust off of the car. Install it as if you intended this to be a done deal!! Have you used a new fill tube seal and also a new TV cable seal? If you ain't you need to.
Thanks guys.

i swapped over the dipstick grommet from the blown trans, it was new a year ago, and i used the tv cable grommet from the blown trans as well, using hylomar around the outside. ill take my chances at this point as i took your advice and am putting the drive shaft in now!

Get notified of new replies

To vehicle speed sensor drive gear clip position

Quick Reply: vehicle speed sensor drive gear clip position