C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Intake manifold gasket question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 04:21 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Intake manifold gasket question

Move from general questions area

1989 stock, auto trans. 50,000

In the FSM it states the blocked portion of the intake gasket goes toward the front of the engine cylinder head, but I took pictures of mine when I took intake off, and it was at rear of engine. I don't know which is right.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:24 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

I would follow FSM. The intake manifold would block that port on most models. The metal block off is for heater coolant flow. The pin hole allows air to escape.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:56 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

All the 350 Chevys I have worked on in the past had the rear crossover blocked off.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:26 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
I would follow FSM. The intake manifold would block that port on most models. The metal block off is for heater coolant flow. The pin hole allows air to escape.
NO, NO, NO - typo in the FSM. restrictors go toward the rear. has nothing to do with heater coolant flow.

the aluminum head variant of the L98 will have a coolant crossover port at the rear of the lower intake. the intake manifold gaskets will have restrictors that go to the REAR of the engine. typo in the FSM. having said that, there are some of us here that use the open port gaskets, without the restrictors, on aluminum head L98's (iron head gaskets work just fine). I did it on my 90, and haven't had cooling issues of any kind - almost 3 years and 10K miles - temps seem normal. the aluminum versions tend to blow head gaskets at either #7 or #8 cylinders - it just happens to be in proximity of the restrictors. coincidence - ??? - you tell me....

Last edited by Joe C; 05-23-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:00 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks for info. Yes, mine blew at #7
Old 05-23-2016, 09:55 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
NO, NO, NO - typo in the FSM. restrictors go toward the rear. has nothing to do with heater coolant flow.

the aluminum head variant of the L98 will have a coolant crossover port at the rear of the lower intake. the intake manifold gaskets will have restrictors that go to the REAR of the engine. typo in the FSM. having said that, there are some of us here that use the open port gaskets, without the restrictors, on aluminum head L98's (iron head gaskets work just fine). I did it on my 90, and haven't had cooling issues of any kind - almost 3 years and 10K miles - temps seem normal. the aluminum versions tend to blow head gaskets at either #7 or #8 cylinders - it just happens to be in proximity of the restrictors. coincidence - ??? - you tell me....
I found this mistake in the 89 factory service manual years ago and posted it on here for all to see..GM sure screwed that one up big time...If you put the restrictors in the front you could burn your motor up...The 89 FSM also has a few torque specs that are wrong, I wonder how many bolt threads have been ripped out because of bad torque numbers..It really sucks when you can't trust the factory book,....WW

Last edited by WW7; 05-23-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:42 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
I found this mistake in the 89 factory service manual years ago and posted it on here for all to see..GM sure screwed that one up big time...If you put the restrictors in the front you could burn your motor up...The 89 FSM also has a few torque specs that are wrong, I wonder how many bolt threads have been ripped out because of bad torque numbers..It really sucks when you can't trust the factory book,....WW
- I've found several typos in my 85 FSM - several on torque specs, such as inch-pounds vs foot pounds - fortunately, haven't screwed anything up (yet) -

Get notified of new replies

To Intake manifold gasket question

Quick Reply: Intake manifold gasket question