C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1984 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 07:33 AM
channingknapp
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 corvette

I have a 1984 corvette it set up for a couple of years when I turn the ignition switch on all the dashboard lights up but will not turn over the fuel pump is putting fuel to the throttle body's but the injectors are not working with that being said I bought a push button ignition switch just to see if I could get it to spin over and it did I can pour a little gas in the throttle body's and it fires right up and then dies in don't think that it's getting power to the throttle body's .I can wiggle the ignition key and faintly hear the door chime but doesn't stay on all the time I'm thinking it may be the ignition cylinder or ignition switch anyone had this problem before or any ideas on what might be the problem. If it is one of these 2 things if anyone has a diagram or video on how to change them out.P S it doesn't have a chip key on this model. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
Old 05-26-2016, 08:54 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Try cleaning your battery connections and inspect cables. Is it supposed to have a chip?

Last edited by antfarmer2; 05-26-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:52 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

You can check power to the Throttle Bodies with an inexpensive "noid light". It plugs in at the injector socket and flashes when the computer fires the injectors. From your description, it sounds like the actual switch on the steering column may be out of adjustment, dirty or faulty, not the lock cylinder, but the electric slide-switch that mounts on the lower steering column.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:53 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Try cleaning your battery connections and inspect cables. Is it supposed to have a chip?
The 1984's didn't have VATs so... no chip to fuss with!
Old 05-26-2016, 08:19 PM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Have you checked the wiring in around the starter and distributor to make sure that while it sat some friendly rodents didn't like the wiring better than you?

And I guess the really stupid question is was it running OK when you parked it?

As I have an '84, I'm curious how you confirmed fuel is making it to the throttle body?
Old 05-26-2016, 09:25 PM
red vet man
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i'm not as learned-ed as some of my fellow forum members However I do have a 1984
and my car is in the same shape yours is. Unless the car has been stored in a controlled environment the chip in the ECM will go bad, the dash display, the central information all can get weak solider joints. Try to spray some cleaner on the injectors some times a build up of carbon will form. Also the chip is in the ECM located up in the dash on the passenger side I hope you are young you have to be contortionist to get it. The chip will be located in the side that has a small plate with a 1/4 hex headed screw . I assume you have all the normal things new plugs, wires, fuel filter, if it has set for that long did you drain the gas and clean the tank ? But first when you first turn the switch do you have a lite hum for about 2 sec. that would be the fuel pump if not check the tank, and first see if the sending unit is in good shape, time will rot the pump and the sending unit. After all that if it is not running start all the sensors. I hope this might help, I have on my 84 since it's birth, and never had a problem until I parked it, my belief is these cars are meant to have the crap run out of them not to set and look pretty.

Last edited by red vet man; 05-28-2016 at 09:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 corvette

Quick Reply: 1984 corvette