C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

89 AC Cold then warm

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 01:43 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

Default 89 AC Cold then warm

My uncle just bought his old corvette back. On the trip up from Tampa he said the air was cold then it went warm. After shutting down the car for a bit and restarting it was cold again for a while then went warm. He drove it this morning and it was cold again on startup.

Any thoughts? I'm guessing it is icing over but are there any other quick checks before he makes his way back home to the Northeast? It's going to be a long trip with no AC!
Old 07-07-2016, 02:33 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Will compressor clutch cycle? It's is possible A/C relay is getting hot and sticking until it cools down. The cycling switch also controls compressor when pressure drops it will open and compressor should disengage when the pressure rises switch closes and clutch re-engages. Not that I'm big on guessing but if you want to try something I would replace them both. If I had to pick one the relay. If a/c stops working before he leaves. If compressor won't disengage and it's blowing warm. Unplug cycling switch see if compressor disengages. If not tap on relay see what happens. If clutch wont come on and blowing warm jump cycling switch with paper clip or cotter pin see if clutch engages. if not tap on relay see if engages. If it does then reconnect cycling switch make sure compressor stay on. If tapping on relay makes a difference it needs relay. If play with cycling switch makes a difference it would be the switch. Those are the two most common. In town or heavy traffic cooling fan has to work or that will cause a/c it get warm but it should cool on the open road over 40 mph.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:56 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I'll check when he gets up here. He was on the highway so the fans shouldn't be an issue. The cycling switch may be stuck since he said there was water over all the lines and it was dumping water from condensation like he has never seen.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:12 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

When I looked up the relay location I'm reading the electronic AC doesn't have a relay. It's likely just the cycling switch is my first guess. I understand no freon is lost when this is replaced, can someone confirm?
Old 07-07-2016, 06:20 PM
357L98
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That's pretty much true. A tiny bit will escape when you take the switch off, but another valve is under the switch to stop the loss of any more refrigerant.

Get notified of new replies

To 89 AC Cold then warm

Quick Reply: 89 AC Cold then warm