C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

94 LT1 wont start. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 02:31 AM
VeTTeMaNC486
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 94 LT1 wont start. HELP!

Kind of long story, cliff notes version at the end.

Since having the car (my wife's car), it has always gotten what I consider poor fuel mileage, and seemed to have a miss at high rpms. I even dynoed it when it was stock and it had a spot in the graph where the rpms stopped picking up for a fraction of a second. I changed the plugs (TR5), coil (MSD), and ICM (ACDelco). No difference. Continued to drive the car anyways, as this problem was intermittent and did not interfere with every day driving. Fast forward a couple of years and 30k miles later. Just before leaving to go into the military, the car started shuttering pretty bad at high load/low rpm situations, I assumed it was the Opti going bad, and told my wife to expect it to get worse and eventually not crank. 2 weeks after this started, my wife told me that her car would not crank. It was running, and she parked it one day and wouldn't crank the next. The car sat until I got out of OTS and could get it towed to where I am stationed. I had purchased a NOS AC Delco vented Opti just after purchasing the car as a just in-case. So upon the cars arrival here in texas I installed a cc305 cam, the new in box NOS opti, the new opti harness, and MSD wires. I went to fire the car up tonight and it just cranks over like it did before putting the opti in. I put a timing light on the coil wire and it is firing. If I hook the timing light to the number 1 or 3 plug wire, it does not flash like it does on the coil wire. I am kind of at a loss right now and need advice.

Cliff notes:

Car quit running. Installed new in box NOS AC Delco Opti (took it apart to verify Mitsubishi Optical sensor). Car still will not crank. Getting fire from the coil, no fire from the opti to the plugs.

The only two things that I can think of are: too much di-electric grease on the plug wires, or dead opti.

If it is a dead opti I do not know how to proceed. I will not pay another 500 dollars assuming I can even find another NOS optispark. I will not buy an opti that does not have the mitsu optical sensor in it as this is my wife's car and it HAS to be reliable.

Leaning towards 24x conversion, but that is a big jump to make, especially with a basically stock car. I just want the freaking the car to run.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:49 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

How did you get the spline on the opti to work? A new old stock vented opti will not fit on a 94.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:39 AM
VeTTeMaNC486
Instructor

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
How did you get the spline on the opti to work? A new old stock vented opti will not fit on a 94.
I installed a 95+ cc305 cam, a new 95+ timing set, and matching timing cover.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:11 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by VeTTeMaNC486
I installed a 95+ cc305 cam, a new 95+ timing set, and matching timing cover.
Great did you get it right? Did all spark wires click twice? A ll connections clean and tight at icm and coil? Blue locktight the cap and rotor?

Last edited by antfarmer2; 07-11-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:39 PM
VeTTeMaNC486
Instructor

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Great did you get it right? Did all spark wires click twice? A ll connections clean and tight at icm and coil? Blue locktight the cap and rotor?
FYI it was a bad coil.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:24 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by VeTTeMaNC486
FYI it was a bad coil.

good job

Get notified of new replies

To 94 LT1 wont start. HELP!

Quick Reply: 94 LT1 wont start. HELP!