C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

94 Corvette Performance Exhust

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 06:48 PM
Harleyman5076
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 94 Corvette Performance Exhust

I recently purchased a 94 Corvette and looking to up grade the performance a little. My question is what type/brand of exhaust should I consider, power chip recommendations and other low cost non intrusive components will get me the extra horse power and torque?
Old 07-28-2016, 08:07 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleyman5076
I recently purchased a 94 Corvette and looking to up grade the performance a little. My question is what type/brand of exhaust should I consider, power chip recommendations and other low cost non intrusive components will get me the extra horse power and torque?
An exhaust package for most any "base" LT1 gets you not much "seat of the pants" performance and just changes the "TONE" of the exhaust. In many cases "DRONE"!!

A '94 is a first year PCM and there's no replaceable PROM - PCM requires "tuning" and again not a lot to be gained. Any of the "hang-on" devices for the PCM are maybe money wasted!!

If this is an A4 with a base 2.59 axle ratio MAYBE the greatest "seat of the pants" feel/"bang for the buck" would come from an axle change to the 3.07. If it's an M6 leave it alone.
The following users liked this post:
Harleyman5076 (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 10:34 AM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

with WVZR-1. The exhaust on the 94 is not very restrictive and you will gain no HP or performance by making a change.

.....again. There is no performance chip available. The computer would have to be flashed with a new set of values. For a stock LT1, you will not gain much for the dollars spent. The only good thing would be to have the fan settings changed so they come on earlier to keep the engine cooler.

Bolt on's will not offer much, unless you go to heads. Perhaps roller rockers. Just be for warned, the LT1 does not have timing marks to line up the valve train. There is a small triangle on the inside of the balancer hub. You turn the engine so the triangle is pointing up (a real PITA) and you have compression on #1. Roller rockers might (repeat might) add 5-7 HP, but you will also see about a 10 degree drop in oil temperature.

For your dollars, gears would be the way to go and higher stall converter if it is a automatic.
Harleyman5076 (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 07:40 PM
Harleyman5076
Heel & Toe

Guys, thanks for weighting in on my question, unless my research failed me they do make a

CORVETTE JET PERFORMANCE ENGINE POWER CONTROL MODULE - MANUAL STAGE 2,

*Adds Up to 22 Horsepower
*Modifies Ignition Curve
*Recalibrates Air/Fuel Ratio For Maximum Performance
*Produces Firmer Transmission Shift Points
*Improves 1/4 Mile Elapsed Times
*Includes New Programming Port For Future Upgrades
The Jet Programmable PCM for Corvettes simply plugs in to the stock computer and the factory wiring harness plugs into the Power Control Module for instant horsepower. The Vehicle ECM looks at various sensors and processes this information to adjust spark timing, air fuel ratio and other parameters according to the information stored in the JET performance module memory. Re-calibrating this information tunes the engine for maximum horsepower and torque under a variety of driving conditions.

The results have been verified via a dyno.

I may have had the Power Chip confused with Power Control Module, also would a cold air induction increase help at all?
Old 07-28-2016, 07:49 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Guys, thanks for weighting in on my question, unless my research failed me they do make a

CORVETTE JET PERFORMANCE ENGINE POWER CONTROL MODULE - MANUAL STAGE 2,

*Modifies Ignition Curve
*Produces Firmer Transmission Shift Points
*Improves 1/4 Mile Elapsed Times
*Includes New Programming Port For Future Upgrades
The Jet Programmable PCM for Corvettes simply plugs in to the stock computer and the factory wiring harness plugs into the Power Control Module for instant horsepower. The Vehicle ECM looks at various sensors and processes this information to adjust spark timing, air fuel ratio and other parameters according to the information stored in the JET performance module memory. Re-calibrating this information tunes the engine for maximum horsepower and torque under a variety of driving conditions.

The results have been verified via a dyno.

I may have had the Power Chip confused with Power Control Module, also would a cold air induction increase help at all?
The SELLER promises what might sell it - you'll need to spend several hundred $$'s to "disprove/document" that it doesn't when it doesn't and then they'll present you with the "your exception".

It's "your money" - "your decision"

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-28-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Harleyman5076 (07-30-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 09:21 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

*Modifies Ignition Curve
Only if your current calibrations, as to ignition timing and injector pulse width, are completely wrong will restoring them to stock or even slightly better gain 20 horsepower....and then it won't be a "gain", it will be a restore.
For the average-running stock-motored C4, a chip "might" get you 2-3hp. It might also lose you 2-3hp. Even with a set of dyno runs, you'll never know what it will do to your engine.
It WILL lighten your wallet, though.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:39 PM
Harleyman5076
Heel & Toe

Why would many forums and or articles suggest these changes if they will not do as stated in all the replies...They are not making any money they are reporting the technical data. I guess I am more confused now than ever...any suggestions to improve HP/Torque without giving the bank away?

Old 08-01-2016, 11:33 AM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Why would many forums and or articles suggest these changes if they will not do as stated in all the replies...They are not making any money they are reporting the technical data. I guess I am more confused now than ever...any suggestions to improve HP/Torque without giving the bank away?

Sponsorships and advertising is why. The LT1 with it's stock components was tuned very well from the factory. Like others have said, you can't get much more from an LT1 without doing major upgrades. The least expensive upgrade you can do that will actually increase HP would be upgrading to a hot cam and 1.6 roller rockers. The LT1 exhaust and intake is the same used on the 400 hp ZR-1. If it's plenty for a 400 hp 5.7 liter, it will not restrict a 300 HP 5.7 liter in the least bit.

When I first got my '92 Vette almost two years ago, I was feeling the same way as you are. Here's my thread and how it was explained to me. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...or-92-lt1.html

Best tip I can give about getting advice here. Some of the people here can come across as Richards, but for the most part, they are honestly interested in helping a fellow Vette owner get their car right. Kinda like getting advice from your big brother. Yes he'll screw with you and joke you, but in the end, he does want only the best for you.

Last edited by 1stVetteFinally; 08-01-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:36 PM
Harleyman5076
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 1stVetteFinally
Sponsorships and advertising is why. The LT1 with it's stock components was tuned very well from the factory. Like others have said, you can't get much more from an LT1 without doing major upgrades. The least expensive upgrade you can do that will actually increase HP would be upgrading to a hot cam and 1.6 roller rockers. The LT1 exhaust and intake is the same used on the 400 hp ZR-1. If it's plenty for a 400 hp 5.7 liter, it will not restrict a 300 HP 5.7 liter in the least bit.

When I first got my '92 Vette almost two years ago, I was feeling the same way as you are. Here's my thread and how it was explained to me. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...or-92-lt1.html

Best tip I can give about getting advice here. Some of the people here can come across as Richards, but for the most part, they are honestly interested in helping a fellow Vette owner get their car right. Kinda like getting advice from your big brother. Yes he'll screw with you and joke you, but in the end, he does want only the best for you.
I appreciate your comments and input..THANK YOU

As I indicated I am new to owning a vette, its been my life dream and now as I get closer to retirement, the kids are gone its time for me to play a little.

Thanks again

1stVetteFinally (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 06:28 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

my 2-cents, FWIW -- keep it clean, stock, well maintained mechanics, and in a proper state of tune, and enjoy the car. I know from a "fast and furious and the need for speed" standpoint, that sounds boring, but face reality. chances are you're not going to track the car, but use it for nothing more than a Saturday night cruiser. a stock, 300 horse, LT1, is an excellent street performer, and the stock exhaust is a decent flowing system. adding an aftermarket exhaust for a sound preference is about as far as I would take it. most of these add-on things are gimmicks. remember, horsepower sells cars - AND PARTS. I have a stock, 230 horse L98 - I can guarantee you, I can break any posted speed limit. besides, for the street, low end torque, and Z51 is all anyone needs -
Old 08-02-2016, 09:50 AM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I appreciate your comments and input..THANK YOU

As I indicated I am new to owning a vette, its been my life dream and now as I get closer to retirement, the kids are gone its time for me to play a little.

Thanks again

Alright, now that that's out the way, POST SOME FREAKING PICS OF YOUR NEW BABY FOR US TO DROOL OVER DAMN IT.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:34 PM
itsalwayssomething
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If this is an A4 with a base 2.59 axle ratio MAYBE the greatest "seat of the pants" feel/"bang for the buck" would come from an axle change to the 3.07. If it's an M6 leave it alone.
For your dollars, gears would be the way to go and higher stall converter if it is a automatic.
Going from a 2.59 gear to a 3.55 with a mild street converter was a night and day difference for me.
Harleyman5076 (08-03-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 05:35 PM
Harleyman5076
Heel & Toe

I decided on a CORSA CAT BACK exhaust system and a SLP triple Air Intake. no other major mods in my future. Thanks everyone for keeping my mind straight. BTW, anyone know where I can find a good used Targa top/ Mine has crystallized and the coating is flaking badly.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:00 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I decided on a CORSA CAT BACK exhaust system and a SLP triple Air Intake.
People are going to do, what they're going to do.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:22 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I decided on a CORSA CAT BACK exhaust system and a SLP triple Air Intake. no other major mods in my future. Thanks everyone for keeping my mind straight. BTW, anyone know where I can find a good used Targa top/ Mine has crystallized and the coating is flaking badly.

The best shot at finding a top is to post a WTB in the C4 parts for sale section.

Congrats on the car, and post up some pics.

Get notified of new replies

To 94 Corvette Performance Exhust

Quick Reply: 94 Corvette Performance Exhust