C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

optispark replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 05:08 PM
WLRDLR
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default optispark replacement

Need a little help on my opti spark replacement. I am at the reassembly stage. How do I line up the shaft. my new one has the shaft on it & doesn,t want to come out easily . How do I align the shaft ? either the new one or the one still in the engine? THNX
Old 07-31-2016, 07:33 PM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by WLRDLR
Need a little help on my opti spark replacement. I am at the reassembly stage. How do I line up the shaft. my new one has the shaft on it & doesn,t want to come out easily . How do I align the shaft ? either the new one or the one still in the engine? THNX
Look closely at your connector between the shaft of the opti and the shaft protruding from the block can only connect one way. The connector (sleeve) has teeth (groves) on it that align with both shafts. When you seat it properly between the two you will feel it seat in place.

Keep turning the opt shaft by hand until you see the grooves line up.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:14 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

In addition to what 69mako said....

If you have to use the bolts to get it to seat, it's misaligned. You should be able to seat it by hand.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:24 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
In addition to what 69mako said....

If you have to use the bolts to get it to seat, it's misaligned. You should be able to seat it by hand.
^^^^^
What he said.

In fact, if you use the bolts to seat the Opti, you'll very likely damage something. Don't even try it. If it won't go on by hand, stop, back up, and figure out what's misaligned.

The early Opti drive coupler, and the two shafts it mates with, are keyed so that they can only be coupled in the correct alignment. Examine closely, and you'll find that there's a key and keyway that are unique compared to the remainder of the internal and external splines. This is the keying that need to be aligned before they will couple properly.

Live well,

SJW
Old 08-02-2016, 02:54 PM
ChrisWhewell
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, and be careful of the location of the rotor with respect to the rotor on the original one you are replacing and its relationship to the keyway / locator on the engine side. I paid for overnight delivery of one of the most expensive ones out there, from company XYZ (three letters in the name) and it was a factory reject. Paid to have it sent back and never got reimbursed by the big famous autopart outlet up in NE Ohio for the shipping, so never bought anything from them since, all over $50, they lose. got a replacement opti at local auto parts store, like $179, so I saved about $300 on it. I read where company XYZ has had a lot of bad stuff go out their door, at that time at least, circa 2013. Just sayin.... make sure the rotor isn't offset w/respet to the locator, had I not noticed that..... would have been a major PIA.

Get notified of new replies

To optispark replacement

Quick Reply: optispark replacement